Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

melted sight glass

shaf
shaf Member Posts: 3
to make long story short, my furnace is so hot the sight galss melted but duct work is cold. is this a big promblem or can i fix it my self, i have no experience with havc. thanks

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    What kind of system do you have with a boiler/duct work? What do you mean by the sight glass is melted? Turn that boiler off and post some pictures of the boiler, the sight glass and the piping around the boiler. You need to get a professional in there to look at that boiler before you start it back up. Do you see any water in the sight glass? If it's really melted/broken did water run out onto the floor?
    Where are you located?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Glass will only melt in direct flame with no cooling. So -- it must be something else that you are referring to. Pictures?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Possibly an inspection window for a forced air furnace??
  • Fred
    JUGHNE said:

Possibly an inspection window for a forced air furnace??

Makes perfect sense! I'm fixated on steam. :)
  • shaf
    thanks for all your comments. sorry i was not very clear. it is a forced hot air gas furnace, the glass is or was sight glass.
    I had a havc tech come look at the furnace, he said the heat chamber was cracked and the one fan had stopped working, I had it replaced with another furnace. Thank you all again
  • Fred
    Thanks for the update!
    JUGHNE
  • shaf
    I just wanted to say you guys are great, thanks again