Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Practices/Tips for Radiator Use in a Coop

Tom140
Tom140 Member Posts: 2
Hi,

I'm on the coop board of a 6-floor building, and I'm looking to put together a guide/flyer for residents on radiator tips that will benefit our whole system.

I wanted to ask for suggestions of things people should do. For instance, I've heard that making sure radiators are not obstructed by furniture is important, and that it's best for the system overall for people to have their radiators valves open (or "on").

Are there others that anyone might suggest (or recommended links)?

Thank you-

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    The real benefits might start in the basement boiler room. If possible, pictures of boiler, controls , piping at boiler and some typical radiator shots will probably draw a lot of interest here. Is the rest of the COOP board interested in saving money?
    Where is this building located?
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,670
    Tom140 said:

Hi,

I'm on the coop board of a 6-floor building, and I'm looking to put together a guide/flyer for residents on radiator tips that will benefit our whole system.

I wanted to ask for suggestions of things people should do. For instance, I've heard that making sure radiators are not obstructed by furniture is important, and that it's best for the system overall for people to have their radiators valves open (or "on").

Are there others that anyone might suggest (or recommended links)?

Thank you-

Before we help with what tenants do, can we see some pictures of the system? Boiler, piping, the radiators etc.

This will better help us help you.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    As others have said, we may be able to help you all -- a lot -- in your boiler room! But there are some things right away.

But first a major question: would I be correct in assuming that this is steam? If so, the major question for your tenants is -- one pipe or two pipe? What can be done to make things more comfortable differs.

One of the first things is to make sure that the radiators can radiate! No furniture in front of them! If they are in enclosures, the enclosure vents much not be obstructed. Things like drapes... anything of that sort.

If it is one pipe steam, then the valves from the pipe to the radiator must be open. Fully open. Anything else is likely to be noisy at the very least.

If some spaces are too warm and other cold, we'll get to that -- there it matters whether it is one pipe or two.

If you have water hammer or other unwanted noises, that's mostly in the boiler room and basement, but it can rarely be at the radiators -- we'll get to that, too.

One thing you can do in the boiler room -- check what pressure the system is cutting out at. It should not be more than 1.5 psi. If you don't know how to check, that's OK -- just send us a picture of the controls on the boiler and we'll step you through it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Tom140
    Tom140 Member Posts: 2
    Hi - thanks, everyone for the replies. This is a building in Brooklyn. I don't have photos at the moment, but other board members have been discussing with plumbers some solutions in the boiler room.

Yes, it is steam, and one-pipe radiators. Mostly people are too warm.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,670
    Tom140 said:

Hi - thanks, everyone for the replies. This is a building in Brooklyn. I don't have photos at the moment, but other board members have been discussing with plumbers some solutions in the boiler room.

Yes, it is steam, and one-pipe radiators. Mostly people are too warm.

Please, when you can post pictures here.
    You'll likely be glad you did in the end. It's also often best to consult the guys here regarding any future work that may be done. It's best to stop mistakes before they are made.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    KC_Jones
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    Did anyone hear anything more from Tom 140? He should realize that this is good free advice.
    RomanGK_26986764589