Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Could gas overpressure have caused multiple gas appliance failures?

CalBoy101
CalBoy101 Member Posts: 10
We recently had our gas furnace, gas stove and gas dryer all start acting up at the same time.

The gas furnace (an older Rheem one) wouldn't light the main burner and after I replaced its gas valve it started working again.

We had a gas company guy come out to check the gas pressure and he said "it was a little low" but also said that the regulator and meter were very old and he replaced those. At that point the stove had been working correctly but after he replaced the regulator and meter he tried testing the oven, found it wouldn't come up to temp and said it needed repair.

The oven and gas dryer both have the same symptoms, they get warm but don't make full temp.

We also have a gas water heater but so far that seems to be doing ok.

The dryer is a Maytag Model MCG8000AWW Rev 12 .

The oven is a KitchenAid Superba Model KGST307HBS6 .

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    I doubt that overpressure would do that -- but under pressure coming in sure could.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • CalBoy101
    CalBoy101 Member Posts: 10
    Jamie, thanks for your input.

So I fully understand, do you mean that using the appliances for a while with the reduced pressure will damage the valves or other components of the appliances?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    It shouldn't damage them -- but you sure won't get full output. Worse, they won't burn well and will soot up and need cleaning -- and they may produce more carbon monoxide than normal, so I hope you have a CO detector...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    edited January 2016
    Over pressure should be prevented by the gas regulator at the meter, unless the vent froze closed or is clogged. Even if that fails it usually would cause a complete failure of the gas valves at the appliances. Not what you described. Low pressure seems more the culprit. Contact the gas company and see if they offer assistance when issues are caused by delivery error.
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com