Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing a 45 year old oil boiler in Oregon

Options
Gunner45
Gunner45 Member Posts: 3
I need to replace my oil boiler for hot water radiant heat. We don't have a lot of boilers in Oregon and I feel the tech is taking me for run. I went on a few websites (supplyhouse.com) and have done some research on the internet. I have 2600 squart foot house with a single zone and probably 100 feet of baseboards. The system I am replacing (148,000 with 1.55 GPM) use to heat the pool as well, so I don't need a system that big. Supplyhouse says I need 104,000 BTU system. I like the Bulderus G115S% and the Biasi B5. I plan in moving in 5 years, so I would like to do my project in the $3000 neighborhood. I only use my boiler in the mornings.

Looking for recommendations. Please help.
Mark

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    We don't talk pricing...
    Gunner45
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    Options
    Someone has to do a heat loss on the house to see what size boiler you need.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    A hat loss calc would be nice, but that baseboard won't sink more than about 50k BTUs. You're looking at the smallest available oil boiler sizes there.

What are your prices for oil and LPG like? A mod/con on LPG might be another option.
  • Gunner45
    Options
    OK, I have contacted a boiler dealer that specailizes in oil boilers. I only use the boiler a couple hours a day, is LPG going to be worth the extra cost and hassle to change over? Open to any comments, I don't know what I don't know.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    As usual, it depends. If you're changing the boiler you really owe it to yourself to evaluate your options. First question is what do you pay for oil and what do you pay for LPG?
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Your budget is unrealistic
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Robert O'Connor_12
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Budget out of line, If I read it right, the boiler no longer heats the pool, correct? If so, then yes it is quite over sized. You are not suppose to talk $$ here. A basic cast iron boiler is probably what you are looking for based on budget constraints. Don't expect to get your boiler at what supply house price is plus basic hourly labor charge. There is much more to the pricing than that for a contractor to keep his doors open and do it right.
    Gunner45
  • Brewbeer
    Brewbeer Member Posts: 616
    Options
    It's not *just* the list price of the boiler, other components should probably also be replaced along with the boiler to do the job correctly (e.g., circulators, valves, etc.)
    Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg
    Gunner45
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    I haven't seen it said recently, so I'll say it here: when you hire someone to install a new boiler, you are hiring the installation. The boiler is secondary.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Gunner45
    Options
    OK, I got it. Thanks for the advice. I contacted a bulderus recommeded dealer to come and take a look.