Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Setting the max output (input) of a Viessmann Vitodens 100 with Combi-plus

fleishman
fleishman Member Posts: 1
edited January 2016 in Gas Heating
Hi all!

I just installed a new 100-W 35KW mod/con with a combi-plus dhw and low loss header running nat gas.

Currently heating 900 sq ft ranch (future second zone will heat 900 sq ft basement).

I am curious on how to properly set the max input modulation for maximum efficiency. I followed the set up instructions and set the % of max input to 6 on the 1-6 dial range assuming I'll need all the btus I can get in the winter. The boiler runs at ~165 max boiler temp and mods down to about 1 bar of flame; the house heats up just fine.

Instructions: http://www.viessmann-us.com/content/dam/internet-ca/pdfs/doc/cpk/vitodens_100-wb1bc_is.pdf page 65

I do not have a flue gas analyzer to test the range at max input and min input.

I did not install the outdoor air temp sensor as I was instructed it could not be used with the combi-plus attachment.

Do I want the temp to reach 180 degrees for my radiators to heat most efficiently? Or, is the boiler reading the return water temp and setting the water temp at the most efficient level automatically?

Winter in Maine; the average temp outside is 20-30 degrees F during the heating season.

Thanks!

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    If I am not mistaken that boiler only goes as high as 165 degrees. I do not have the manual in front of me. I would suggest having someone with a combustion analyzer check out the boiler.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Look at page 79, it will go to 178. I've installed dozens of these units, only held by breath once where I needed a bit more temp. Good little boiler. I have not installed the heat exchanger though.

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited January 2016
    The dial setting has nothing to do with the modulation % but rather the heating curve. So at 6. You'll get the full 176 degree water temp at 41 degrees outside. Not ideal. You'll rarely be condensing and getting the fuel saving benefits. You're more likely only going to get 88-90% AFUE at those high water temps.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    fleishman said:

Hi all!

I do not have a flue gas analyzer to test the range at max input and min input.
    Not a good idea!

I did not install the outdoor air temp sensor as I was instructed it could not be used with the combi-plus attachment.

Not true!

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    CMadatMe
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    With 900 sq/ft you'll never need more than the 37K min input except on DHW
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Didn't catch that he didn't use the ODS.. Another bad move.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
    Robert O'Brien