Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Room by Room vs. Total Structure heat loss question

Options
jb9
jb9 Member Posts: 104

I have a question about the relationship between a heat loss calculation for a structure versus a room-by-room heat loss calculation. How do the two relate if placed side by side? I have done a heat loss calculation for my structure, but in order to proceed with how I want to design my system, I need to do a room-by-room... I am sort of stuck. How do I treat the interior walls in my calculation? If someone could provide a simple example, that might help. I did all my structure calculations long hand, so I am not intimidated by the math. Hope this isn't too rudimentary of a question to ask... Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    They are "warm partitions", kind of a non-issue save for their value in determining room size.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Gordy
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    The relationship should be the same as far as total heat loss.
    The difference is each room will have different loads depending on outside wall exposure ( 1 side, two sides, and three sides exposed), orientation,glazing and solar influence.

There is cold partitions also. Such as a room next to a unconditioned space. Usually a wall between an attatched garage.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Simple if you want to do them.

How to find heat loss through a panel

(Ti-To)/R-Value = Bthu/hr per sqft

Ti = Design Temp Inside the panel room
    To = Design Temp Outside the panel room
    R-Value = R-Value of the Panel

(70-0)/19 = 3.68 btu/hr per sqft of panel

This is just the loss through the panel.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."