Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Room by Room vs. Total Structure heat loss question

jb9
jb9 Member Posts: 104

I have a question about the relationship between a heat loss calculation for a structure versus a room-by-room heat loss calculation. How do the two relate if placed side by side? I have done a heat loss calculation for my structure, but in order to proceed with how I want to design my system, I need to do a room-by-room... I am sort of stuck. How do I treat the interior walls in my calculation? If someone could provide a simple example, that might help. I did all my structure calculations long hand, so I am not intimidated by the math. Hope this isn't too rudimentary of a question to ask... Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 2,917
    They are "warm partitions", kind of a non-issue save for their value in determining room size.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, Master Plumber for Consulting Work
    Or for plumbing in NYC or in NJ.

Or take his class.
    Gordy
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,514
    The relationship should be the same as far as total heat loss.
    The difference is each room will have different loads depending on outside wall exposure ( 1 side, two sides, and three sides exposed), orientation,glazing and solar influence.

There is cold partitions also. Such as a room next to a unconditioned space. Usually a wall between an attatched garage.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited January 2016
    Simple if you want to do them.

How to find heat loss through a panel

(Ti-To)/R-Value = Bthu/hr per sqft

Ti = Design Temp Inside the panel room
    To = Design Temp Outside the panel room
    R-Value = R-Value of the Panel

(70-0)/19 = 3.68 btu/hr per sqft of panel

This is just the loss through the panel.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."