Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco 007 Circulating pump

fruth2000
fruth2000 Member Posts: 4
edited January 2016 in Oil Heating
After searching the discussions, I found that these circulating pumps last almost forever. The problem I have is that it seems to be running fine, but possibly not at the full rated volume. It takes 25 minutes plus from the time the out going pipe gets hot, till the return pipe gets hot. That means the last room in the circuit will not start to receive hot water in the baseboard for 20 minutes. I thought it may be air bound, but I flushed the system twice and the flow out the garden hose drain is great. The Taco 007 pump is rated at 8 GPM at 8 foot head. I have approximately a 200 foot run of 3/4" pipe. 200 x .023 Gallons per foot = 4.6 gallons in the system. The entire system should circulate in around a minute. Is there any chance he impeller is slipping and the volume is greatly reduced?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    edited January 2016
    How many feet of baseboard do you have? Part of the problem may be the radiators being heated on route.
    How is the rest of the piping laid out? You may have more resistance you are not considering.
    The 007 could also be bad, these things happen.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    kcopp
  • fruth2000
    I have about 100 feet of baseboard. But even at that it should not take that long. It seems to be taking way longer than it ever did. (I have had the heating system with no changes for 20 years.) I just wonder if the impeller could be slipping? The only other thing could possibly be the zone valve is not opening all the way.
  • Zman
    If it worked before, I would agree that it is likely a bad circ.You could check the amp draw with a multimeter with a clamp and inspect the impeller. It is not a very expensive circ, if it has been in service for 20 years, I would just replace it.
    Albert Einstein
  • fruth2000
    One last question. It is a Taco 007 F4. I can't find F4, only F5. Looks like exactly the same thing. Does the F5 replace the F4?
  • Zman
    Yes, they are the same.
    Albert Einstein
  • MikeSpeed6030
    MikeSpeed6030 Member Posts: 69
    Are you sure the pump is actually running? Do you have 120-V at the pump's motor terminals when there is a call for heat? Possibly the capacitor is bad or the impeller is boogered.

Did this problem just suddenly occur or was it after some maintenance?

Those Taco wet-rotor pumps have just one moving part - the cartridge, which is replaceable. It's conceivable that there is some debris that is stuck. Remove four cap screws to get access to the cartridge. Unless you have valves to isolate the pump, you will need to drain the system above the elevation of the pump - but you'd have to do that anyway to replace the pump.
  • fruth2000
    The pump is definitely running. It just seems that volume is low. I agree that the impeller may be gummed up. The pump is probably 20 years old. Rather than take a chance on a rotor and find out I have a bad capacitor I picked up a complete pump at Home Depot today. At 20 years old it doesn't owe me anything and should be replaced anyway.
  • Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    That's a good plan. Maybe you will find something simple that will fix the old pump - then you will have a spare pump. I don't have a spare pump, but I do have a spare replacement cartridge.

Keep us posted.