Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cover screw for Suntec pump

ascender
ascender Member Posts: 4
Hi. I replaced the strainer/screen in my Suntec A2VA-7116 fuel unit, however I rounded/stripped one of the cover screws in the process. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement screw? I can't find any info on the web. Photo attached - top right screw was damaged. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Ah... is there anything special about it? I should think that pretty much any allen head machine screw, same length, same thread would work. Am I missing something?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ascender
    Thanks for your reply. I don't think the is anything special about it. Do you know where I can find details of the required thread etc so I can order the right one? I couldn't find any details online.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    I'd just take the damaged screw out and measure it... but be sure you replace it with a quality part. A cheap imported part from a big box store just isn't going to do the job.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    Not sure where you are located... Most guys that work on these all the time have a shelf full of pumps / and assorted parts they'd give or sell you one real cheap...
  • ascender
    Thanks for the advice, Burnerman. I'm located in CT.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Call a Sid Harvey's near you. They get returns all the time. Maybe you can get them to give you a screw (buy something while your there).
    I have in my truck 2 suntec covers and 2 clean cut covers and about 8 screws (4 of each) in my parts pin for just such an occasion.
    steve
  • 776v63
    776v63 Member Posts: 61
    Personally, I would just take it to a hardware store and match one up. All good advice though.

I too have a bunch of extras. Only need to learn that lesson once.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Worst case, if you have an old style Suntec with the 5/16 bolts, swap the cover out. Same thing. Sids may not have the allen bolt on hand, as the reman plant is Carolina
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    billtwocase ? have you ever been to their Remanufacturing plant... we were down a lot goes in to a fuel pump from start to finish
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Worst case buy a new pump, they aren't that $$. Then you have spare bolts, a strainer, and pump. Those bolts are almost product specific. I'd be surprised if even Fastenal has them at the ready.
  • billtwocase
    Happy New year to all. Burnerman, I always seem to miss out on that trip, but always wanted to go check it out. I would be going with the Providence crew. Great guys there. Been using them since the early 60's
  • billtwocase
    Bob. The early mini pumps would accept the old long bolts from the 007. The early models that the bolt passed thru the housing and threaded into the motor housing. Too bad to scrap a pump for just a bolt, but for a potential oil leak, I agree that if all else fails, a new pump is in order. I didn't like this design when it first came out. Too many guys out there strong like bull
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Yes, I'm so used to the 5/16 head bolts, I think the Allens are fussy. I would be so ecstatic however, to see a Webster on the job!
    billtwocase
  • 776v63
    776v63 Member Posts: 61
    How did you make out ascender? If you're not having any luck, pm me you address and I'll mail you a couple spare bolts I have laying around.
    ascender
  • ascender
    Sorry for the delayed response, I've been out of town on travel since the beginning of the year. I haven't had any luck hunting down just a bolt. 776v63 that's a very generous offer - I will pm you