Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ultra sound inspections of oil tanks? Effective?

Jack M
Jack M Member Posts: 228
edited December 2015 in Oil Heating
Should an ultra-sound tank inspection be a part of routine maintenance for an oil heating system? My annual service contract does not include one however a coworker's annual maintenance contract does include this inspection.
Are single wall tanks being phased out by code in some parts of the country?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KLGNemEHG08

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Tell your oil supplier you'd like tank insurance. If it's available, you'll find out where you stand, because they will make sure your tanks in good shape before they'll insure it.
  • Jack M
    edited December 2015
    Paul48 said:

they will make sure your tanks in good shape before they'll insure it.

By what method of inspection will they "make sure that it is in good shape?" Will they rely solely on "good judgement?"

• Paul48
    They'll use ultra-sound, and if there is any visible seepage they won't even bother with that.
  • Jack M
    edited December 2015
    Is ultra-sound a reliable test? The technology seems suspicious, akin to finding water with a willow branch.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,163
    Ultrasound is very reliable, when it is done properly. It measures wall thickness by timing a pulse of sound going out and bouncing off the inner wall.

The same principle is used for finding cracks in gas turbine rotors... railroad tracks... big boilers... railroad steam engine boilers... gas pipelines... pretty much anywhere you want to measure the thickness of the metal without cutting a hole in it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Paul48
    They use it to determine if they will insure your tank. It is very reliable.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    If nothing else it's getting people to pay attention to the tank.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I have seen it done. It gave a 50 year old excellent condition tank an extended life. Test was required, or replacement from an insurance company. I still install single wall tanks. Nothing wrong with them. I am also Roth certified if the customer so chooses
  • Jack M

I I still install single wall tanks. Nothing wrong with them. I am also Roth certified if the customer so chooses

Are some states mandating double wall tanks. I read an article from a newspaper in Maine that claimed 0% of replacement installation are single wall. They have a program in Maine to replace old tanks.

• Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Jack M said:

I I still install single wall tanks. Nothing wrong with them. I am also Roth certified if the customer so chooses

Are some states mandating double wall tanks. I read an article from a newspaper in Maine that claimed 0% of replacement installation are single wall. They have a program in Maine to replace old tanks.

That is false if the tank is replaced with government money it will be a double bottom or a Roth tank. I have put in plenty of single wall tanks. There are a couple towns around that have made laws for Roth style tanks only.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • Jack M

Jack M said:

That is false if the tank is replaced with government money it will be a double bottom or a Roth tank. I have put in plenty of single wall tanks. There are a couple towns around that have made laws for Roth style tanks only.
    Thanks for setting me straight. Maine's DEP web site states the following:

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    I had someone I respect an awful lot tell me all tanks should be Roth.

I'm going to go with that because I trust his opinion.

Many people drove cars without collapsible steering columns for years too, doesn't mean I want one.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    I am still not sold on The test we tested one that was Leaking and it Passed. But like some one said it makes the Tech look at the tank and may see the Sign of a future problem .
    Bob Bona_4
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Ultra sound is a very reliable test as stated, used for many years to find cracks in commercial aircraft... We used to find them lots easier when smoking was allowed on planes....just look for the nicotine stains....I was a gas guy not an oil guy, but my guess is a good oil guy can pretty much tell on a visual....Noone is crazy enough to insure A 30 year old tank....I would guess....A new tank is about the same cost as a weekend getaway.... If your tank is old and u question it Replace it....pretty simple
    Bob Bona_4billtwocase
  • Marz
    Marz Member Posts: 90
    well said j a. I will add that Roth style tanks have their own issues. I think Billtwocase will agree. Plastic... O-rings... Bulkhead nuts... Yes we have had problems with these tanks. Double bottom steel tanks..... All day :)
    j a_2billtwocase
  • Jack M
    edited December 2015
    Called the local supply house to order a plastic pan or containment tray to slide under the existing 275 gallon tank. The sales desk said they did not have any in stock but could have one for Monday. They stopped stocking trays because most people just put the money towards a Roth tank instead.

• Kakashi
    Kakashi Member Posts: 88
    Roth has 30 warranty with their tanks now. 30 years of no tank insurance.
  • billtwocase
    There are some towns on the Lower Cape here that require them. It is not State mandated here in Mass, but on coastal Cape Cod, some towns are requiring double wall. Generally the health departments mandate this along with fire prevention. Local codes can always add to a state code, but never subtract from. These are generally above ground, outside, cement pad, cabled down. Been code here for decades.
  • billtwocase
    Also, those tank pans are cheap, and readily available from Sid Harvey. Very small fraction of the cost of a Roth tank
  • Jack M
    edited January 2016
    They offer the slide in tank tray with an alarm that can also (optional) send a signal through the home's security system to a third party monitoring/security company. Called "oil yeller"
    oilyeller.com/index.asp
    Sensors are also available domestically
    cleaningupoil.com/shop/tank-containment-products/tank-alarm/