Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

leaking indirect

servicemgr
servicemgr Member Posts: 2
I have a customer with a boiler and indirect installed in 2013. The first indirect lasted 4 months before leaking, and the second lasted 16 months. Anyone know of a good reason that this happened. Electrolysis was my thought, but the house appears to have a good ground. However there is no ground jumper across the water meter.

Comments

• jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    What brand.Expansion tank installed?
  • servicemgr
    servicemgr Member Posts: 2
    Megastor 40. No expansion tank needed.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    What's leaking? The tank or the coil?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • jonny88
    I mentioned exp tank because if there is a backflow on domestic water most manufacturers require a domestic expansion tank.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Do you know the pH and chloride levels of the water? Is it well water?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    It can be messy, but stripping away the foam insulation is the best way to find the leak. Usually it is at one of the welds on the seams or around the threaded connection weld-let.

Water quality is always suspect with stainless tanks that fail early and often. Local supply housed generally know which tanks last in their area.

All things considered glass lined tanks seem to handle aggressive water best, keep them below 160F for a good long life.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jonny88
    I did just this on a 2yr old indirect a while back.Indirect was made by one of the more reputable companies and we discovered it was a weld on the seem.Company did replace unit in fairness though.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Tringle Tube smart tanks have a life time warranty.