Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Time for a new Boiler

ajbecker8
ajbecker8 Member Posts: 2
Hi all,

I currently have an american standard boiler going on year 60. It does not have any issues, but am considering replacing it before it does. Does it make sense to replace a 60 yr boiler with a new more efficient boiler (like a brunham mpq), or does the phrase they don't make em like they used to hold true here? We live in a cap cod style house with only 1 zone and I will say the 2nd floor is always 5-10 degrees cooler (in the winter) then the main floor.
Would like to get your feedback, since I am most definitely a novice in this area. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Is this a steam or hot water system? Sixty years is great for a boiler and I'm sure a newer would be slightly more effecient and it is better to schedule a replacement when it is convenient to you rather than be stuck with a leaking boiler in the dead of winter. As far as the second floor being cooler than the first, if it's a single pipe steam system, that's probably just a matter of balancing the system with main and/or radiator venting.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Depending upon your fuel consumption, expect a 25-40% reduction in consumption.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    It makes perfect and logical sense to replace.
    Robert O'Brien
  • ajbecker8
    ajbecker8 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the responses. It is a hot water system. Regarding the upstairs being cooler, I had my heating/oil company come take a look, they didnt suggest much except saying to put a wireless thermostat upstairs instead of on the main floor.
    Also, I know we dont speak prices, but the quote i received for a new Burnham mpq 147 boiler, labor was 66% of the cost, is that a normal/expected percentage?
    Thanks again for the feedback.
  • Brewbeer
    Brewbeer Member Posts: 616
    There are a ton of new, additional components that also need to be installed, in addition to the boiler, so what you think might be all labor, probably isn't.

If your contractor didn't have constructive comments for getting more heat upstairs, he may not be the contractor you want to work with.
    Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg
    KC_Jones
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Capes are notorious for having envelope issues on the 2nd floor with all the angles and knee walls, I would address that and split the second floor into a separate zone
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    billtwocasekcopp
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    One thing to remember on the labour costs (in addition to @Brewbeer 's comment: remember that you only get what you pay for, and a quality installation is what you are after.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    billtwocase