Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

GB142 Buderus

Options
HEATON
HEATON Member Posts: 118
do you still think alum x changers are desirable, more maintenance, than SS? I've installed many of both and am thinking the alum is more probs when doing a family member install. want to give them the best, price is not the driving factor. B

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    The aluminium will usually require more maintenance, but the GB142 is very easy to access. It's basically tooless.

As far as durability goes, that boiler has around for over 30 years in Europe and has a good track record. About 80% of mod/con's now sold over there have aluminium heat exchangers.

The fire tube S.S. heat exchanger now used in many models over here has become the favorite of many of the pros here.

The helix coil HX used in ECR's Utica and Dunkirk brands has shown good results in the five years its been out.

I've installed and serviced all three types for years now and have confidence in all of them if installed and maintained correctly.

I do not care for any model that use a Gianonni HX. They will go quickly if not maintained properly. In Europe, where yearly maintenance is mandated by law, they do okay; in the US, where most folks won't call a tech until its broken, there have been a lot of failures.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    jonny88Rich_49RobG
  • jjheat
    jjheat Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Love The Viessmann Vitodens 200. Price point has come down and all stainless.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    What kind of loads are you looking at , high and low end ? GB142 is tried and true and you can probably change out anything in there in less than an hour , tool less is a good description . If you want great quality and save your family member some scratch take a look at HTP UFT boiler being discussed here in the gas heating or main wall sections . In advance , HTP is well supported , responsive , introduced the first American made mod con in the US , it had issues so the owner discontinued and moved on . This new boiler has gone through the wringer before bringing it to market , no bugs , I have installed . This thing is a true modulating condensing boiler that quite shortly will be the envy of the industry .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • HEATON
    Options
    appreciate the feedback, one of my installations required a replacement igniter assy and gaskets for the service during the winter and boiler also does the DHW. parts availability was not good here in the pitts, PA region. Prob will have to inventory parts myself . A manufacturs rep tells me that a poly pipe product is important to use as intake as the tests show PVC causing more corrosion on the combustion side. dont have the name at the moment. What do u know?
  • HEATON
    Options
    Is the HTP a Giovanni HX ? Installed a bunch of Munchkins and Peerless Pinacle, were they HTP Co. ? They were all a disaster and money pits. Most have been abandoned and removed. Had to refund customers $$ on 2 and have given away all my parts inventory, 2500.00 worth. JH
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    No Giannoni in the newer HTP stuff
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833