Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

In-floor zone heats without circulation pump on

I have an in-floor zone heating system. I have 4 zones upstairs and 4 zones downstairs. Most of the zones only heat when a call for heat turns the circulation pump on. However, I have recently noticed that one of the zone areas heats up pretty high, 70 degrees, even when no circulation is occurring. It is one of 4 zones running off a common 1 "supply manifold. The returns also come back to a common 1" return manifold. I'm suspecting that there is a natural conduction flow happening through this zone. Today, I've closed the stop valves on each side of the zone pump (which is disconnected from 120v) to see if the zone cools down. Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Do the individual loops have actuators? Or, is the entire zone on that manifold experiencing the problem? If so, the flow check is not closing completely

Can you post some pics?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • hiker108
    hiker108 Member Posts: 5
    I have 4 circulation pumps branching off the supply manifold. Each pump supplies a loop (zone). Each zone is driven by it's own thermostat. I have a Tekmar zone management system driving TACO pumps. I believe the pumps have integral stop valves. I think the stuck open stop valve might be a good idea. I have an extra pump that I can try swapping out this weekend.

I'll post a pic soon.
  • hiker108
    My TACO pumps are 007-BF5-IFC. Any sources for purchasing just the "replaceable" check valve online ?
  • hiker108
    This document from TACO indicates that the IFC replacement part on my 007-BF5-IFC is TACO 006-047RP IFC, which is about a $12 part.

http://s3.supplyhouse.com/manuals/1346943392024/79110_PROD_FILE.pdf
  • hiker108
    So I purchased the replacement check valve. This AM I opened up a pump that was not in use and observed that the factory check valve was installed. It looked like the replacement. So, boldly I proceeded to remove the cartridge unit from the faulty pump and looked into the casing to observe the check valve.....EMPTY HOLE!! So I've been running that zone without check valve since 2007! I went ahead and inserted new check valve. CASE CLOSED !!!
    SWEIIronman