Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How a German Home Maximizes Energy Efficency

Comments

• zavnet
    zavnet Member Posts: 15
    Information regarding 93% of forced air based heating used in US vs. 99% Hydronic based heating in Germany is amazing...
    Jean-David Beyer
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Pay me now or pay me later. i wonder if our country will ever realize how true that is.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    ChrisJBob Bona_4Jean-David Beyer
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    That's awesome. Some really nice mechanical rooms for sure.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Sad part is all that has to be done is mandate it here.
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    I suddenly feel embarrassed about the state of my boiler room.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    I'll bet the house in the first video cost four times as much as a typical american house the same size.
    bob
    kcopp
  • Gordy
    I'm sure it does not come cheap. But like they said most people live in their homes for generations. Which makes an Interesting point of view on life cycle costs, and ROI.
    SWEICanucker
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    I agree with bob, I am sure it's very costly. Though I also think we in America will often stretch the duration of a mortgage and buy twice the house we "need". Notice how he said 1800sqft and a tiny kitchen. To me if we spend a lot of time in the planning and build a house or buy a house that is a bit more modest, there is quite a bit of meat on the bone for efficiency upgrades that will save money and be a lot more environmentally wise.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    Hilly
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 249
    The families live in those houses for generation but how many generations is the equipment going to last?
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Not as expensive as you would think . It is scalable and we all know when stuff becomes accepted and popular the price goes down .
    Gordy , we agree on many things , mandates would not be one of them . We should focus on teaching people real math as opposed to how much to spend to keep up with the Jones's and build a bigger , nicer kitchen when they eat out 5 nights a week .
    When will we and our manufacturing partners start to show people that for an extra 75.00 per month on their mortgage they can spend 125.00 less on utilities and be more comfortable and healthy in their homes ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Gordy
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Rich said:

Not as expensive as you would think . It is scalable and we all know when stuff becomes accepted and popular the price goes down .
    Gordy , we agree on many things , mandates would not be one of them . We should focus on teaching people real math as opposed to how much to spend to keep up with the Jones's and build a bigger , nicer kitchen when they eat out 5 nights a week .
    When will we and our manufacturing partners start to show people that for an extra 75.00 per month on their mortgage they can spend 125.00 less on utilities and be more comfortable and healthy in their homes ?

Good luck with that.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Rich_49
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Nice video,a mention of the solar on the roof would add to the story :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Gordy
    edited October 2015
    Rich said:

Rich We agree on this its just those types you describe need to be forced then they see the light.......maybe. Nice description though, sums it up for our glutinous society.
    Rich_49Zman
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I was in Ireland recently for a week and every single radiator I saw there had a TRV on it.
    Steve Minnich
    SWEI
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    I was in Wales last month too. Every heater has a TRV and every sink (public places where the only places I'd been really) had a TMV under them. Also there is no shame in exposed piping over there either.