Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Not in Dan's EDR book...

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
or anyone else's either. I pulled a radiator cover today and behind the disconnected cast iron radiator, I found this piped in. I kid you not. I'm keeping it for my trophy room.
Steve Minnich

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    It would be interesting to know what the installer's reasoning was.
  • Tinman
    Well I know one of the reasons. The bottom of the cast iron radiator had epoxy in 3 different spots between sections. What I don't understand is that he or she was trying to heat a 400sf room with 2 large windows and 20' of exposed wall with no insulation with some copper pipe.
    Steve Minnich
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    Who gets to work in America? Everybody!
    Retired and loving it.
    ChrisJCharlie from wmass
  • Harvey Ramer
    Yeah, that's kind of like trying illuminate a parking lot with a candle. I'm guessing either a diy or a knucklehead.
  • Tinman
    Tim was going to cut up the copper and put it in our scrap can and I said no chance, we're keeping that. Forever. Finding that bit of creativity made me smile.
    Steve Minnich
  • Harvey Ramer
    It would make a decent towel drying rack.

It's fun finding stuff like this.
    Tinmanjonny88Charlie from wmassZman
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    Stephen, mount it on the front of your truck. It will whistle at 30 mph.
    Retired and loving it.
    Tinman
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    I'd love a steam heated towel rack in the bathroom. I'll have one too if I ever tear open the downstair's bathroom ceiling to run piping. :p

Need plated copper pipe though, bare copper is just tacky.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Bare copper is doable if you clear coat it .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • ChrisJ
    Rich said:

Bare copper is doable if you clear coat it .

There's a clear coat that will withstand steam for years?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Rich_49
    Not sure anyone said it was steam . But I would imagine that some cars located in hotter areas than Nj reach temps approaching what a steam rad does . So, maybe .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
  • ChrisJ
    Rich said:

Not sure anyone said it was steam . But I would imagine that some cars located in hotter areas than Nj reach temps approaching what a steam rad does . So, maybe .

Not sure anyone said it was steam!?!?
    You really don't know me do you Rich. Steam is a given!

Not to mention the one in the picture has a trap on it.
  • ProblemSolver
    ProblemSolver Member Posts: 190
    Use it as your icon picture.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I once made a evaporator for a large 3 door reach in out of 3/8 copper pipe, no fins. I then made a drain pan with staggered sheet metal so water would drip from one to the other like a slinky going down steps into a pan with a drain. The old coils would get eaten up by the salad dressings in the box. It didn't work well until I added a couple of Acme fans, my first thought was that the cold air would just fall and create enough circulation. The fans did the trick. Trouble was nobody got to see my genius at work, the coil was never again replaced and was operating when the old Roma Restaurant closed.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    The reducing coupling right before the trap means there is always about a pint of water in the pipe at all times. Must have sounded like a rain storm all night long.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    unclejohn said:

The reducing coupling right before the trap means there is always about a pint of water in the pipe at all times. Must have sounded like a rain storm all night long.

It almost looks like they designed it that way? Reduced to 1/2" and then back to 3/4". @Stephen Minnich are there any pin holes in the top of those copper runs? Do you think that was someone's ingenious idea for adding more humidity to the house and maybe that room got enough heat from other radiators? It just doesn't make sense???
  • Rich_49
    ChrisJ said:

Rich said:

Not sure anyone said it was steam!?!?
    You really don't know me do you Rich. Steam is a given!

Not to mention the one in the picture has a trap on it.
    Pardon me Chris . certainly did not look too closely at the picture . Steam for sure
    732-751-1560
    ChrisJ
  • Tinman
    Just my opinion but anything that looks like an ingenious design here was strictly by accident based on the history of the hydronic work in this church.
    Steve Minnich
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948

Just my opinion but anything that looks like an ingenious design here was strictly by accident based on the history of the hydronic work in this church.

Even monkeys can write a novel once in a million tries right?
    Tinman