Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water Heat

I went to look at replacing a Return line to the Boiler in a Hot Water System, The Return was Red Hot, Should it not be Cold, This a Multi Story Apartment Building, Boiler Room is not Giant, The Boiler seems to be Firing Very Hard , I am Not The Plumber, I am The Welder for the Plumber,But I think there is a problem, If anyone can offer any suggestions, It would be Helpful, I think this Plumber may be in need of some of Dan's Books

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    How hot is red hot? The return line in most hot water systems should be about 20 degrees cooler -- more or less -- than the feed line. You need to actually measure the temperature of the two lines... I suggest an IR thermometer, and wrap black electrical tape tightly on each line and measure that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    dry fired boiler?
  • TomShannon
    TomShannon Member Posts: 4
    Thank you , We will check that
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Jamie is the man... Design for most but not all systems is targeted with a "20 Delta T". Not unusual to be hot. Thanks Jamie.

Peace;
    Mike T.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    when OP stated "red hot" I had visions of red hot steel. Not 100-120 degree hot.