Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wilo 3 wire zone vale wiring help

JakeMiller
JakeMiller Member Posts: 17
edited October 2015 in Thermostats and Controls
Hi everyone,

I need help in wiring a 3 wire (Grey, Orange, White) Wilo normally closed zone valve...
+ I don't know what the other 2 white wires are for

I have Weil Mclain 97+ boiler which has a built in 3 zone card and 24V transformer...

I don't know which wires go where and what to do ... plz help...

My t stat has only 2 wires (RED and WHITE)

I'm also not sure what to do with the /// Auto Limit and MAN limit wire connections

i've attached some pix as well... It comes with 2 leads (yellow and red) for wiring to boiler or stat i guess.
a.jpg 666.4K
b.jpg 559.7K
c.jpg 613.1K
d .jpg 926.6K

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    How many zones do you have all together?
    Are you heating domestic hot water?
    A picture would help.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • JakeMiller
    Zman said:

How many zones do you have all together?
    Are you heating domestic hot water?
    A picture would help.

its a 3 Zone system - (no domestic water) just heating spaces.

- 2 wire t-stat cables

boiler has a built in (ZONE card) and 24V connections

I've attached a wiring schematic on boiler...
    d .jpg 926.6K
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Best way to wire your zone valves is with a separate transformer since the zone card does give you a VA rating. You need a trans. large enough to handle the 3 valves., most likely at least 40VA. Wire one side of each valve motor to common of trans. Wire the "R" side of the trans to "R" on the Tstats. Wire "W" of the tstats to the other valve motor lead. Wire the white wire of the end switch and the orange wire across the tstat terminals on the zone board. Cap the gray wire on the valves.
  • Zman
    I wrote this a little while ago and did not hit "post comment"
    It is essentially what uncle john wrote except I would use the terminal on the boiler that say "for thermostats" figuring the manufacture intended the system to have 3 t-stats and associated zone valves.

The gray wire will not be used and should be capped. The orange and white wires connect to the corresponding terminal "H","J" or"K" shown on figure 76 in the boiler manual. It does not matter which wire goes on the left or right as long as the are both on the same zone.

Here is the tricky part, from terminal "L" on the boiler, you run a red wire from "R" to the "R" on the thermostat. From the "W" on the thermostat you run a wire to one of the yellow (sounds like yours look white) wires on the zone valve. The other yellow wire on the thermostat goes to the "W" on terminal "L" in the boiler to complete the circuit.

What are you crazy, your going to wire you brand new boiler based on a description someone gave you on the internet?
    Seriously that is how it should be done, just take your time and you are good to go. It would have been way easier if the manufacture printed a readable manual.
    Albert Einstein
  • JakeMiller
    Zman said:

I wrote this a little while ago and did not hit "post comment"
    It is essentially what uncle john wrote except I would use the terminal on the boiler that say "for thermostats" figuring the manufacture intended the system to have 3 t-stats and associated zone valves.

The gray wire will not be used and should be capped. The orange and white wires connect to the corresponding terminal "H","J" or"K" shown on figure 76 in the boiler manual. It does not matter which wire goes on the left or right as long as the are both on the same zone.

Here is the tricky part, from terminal "L" on the boiler, you run a red wire from "R" to the "R" on the thermostat. From the "W" on the thermostat you run a wire to one of the yellow (sounds like yours look white) wires on the zone valve. The other yellow wire on the thermostat goes to the "W" on terminal "L" in the boiler to complete the circuit.

What are you crazy, your going to wire you brand new boiler based on a description someone gave you on the internet?
    Seriously that is how it should be done, just take your time and you are good to go. It would have been way easier if the manufacture printed a readable manual.

----------------

My T-Stat wires are RED & White (nothing else) just two wire....

This zone valve is Grey, Orange, White....

There is a built in Transformer, but on the manual and some spec plates it says not to use the 24v ... but than in some places it say unless required... so confusing......

I also did test the Low voltage and there 20V to 26V in each zone, where the T-stat wires plug in.

There is a manual available from the manufacture... I listed the link below...

http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/assets/pdf/550142120_1113_WEB.pdf

its a Weil McClain WM97+ (110 model)
  • JakeMiller
    unclejohn said:

Best way to wire your zone valves is with a separate transformer since the zone card does give you a VA rating. You need a trans. large enough to handle the 3 valves., most likely at least 40VA. Wire one side of each valve motor to common of trans. Wire the "R" side of the trans to "R" on the Tstats. Wire "W" of the tstats to the other valve motor lead. Wire the white wire of the end switch and the orange wire across the tstat terminals on the zone board. Cap the gray wire on the valves.

-------------------------
    I did bring a friend who is in HVAC business... he also suggested what you said above..... with separate transformers or board with that option....

It's confusing... because it says it has a built in option for zone valves.... or Calculators in the manual on Page 66-67 it breaks it down... but I get lost in it....

its a Weil McClain WM97+ (110 model)
    http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/assets/pdf/550142120_1113_WEB.pdf

All the help is really Appreciated.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Gray, orange, white is the end switch. If you do not know what a end switch is get some one who does. Did you buy the boiler off the internet?
  • Zman
    Page 130 of the manual indicates that the transformer is 50va.
    I would wire it as I described above.
    Albert Einstein
  • JakeMiller
    edited October 2015
    @unclejohn .... I understand the end swtich, and I get it now...
    and no, i bought it from a local supplier... i just bought the zone valves online... should've got the good stuff, like taco or honeywell...
    --------------------
    @Zman yes but like you guys suggested and my friend, I bought seperate transformers for them.... so it leaves the doubts out.

Thank you both :smile:
  • Zman
    Not a bad move. That way if you let the smoke out of it you are buying a $20 transformer not a $200 board...
    Albert Einstein