Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Expansion theory

Options
The expansion of water turning into steam by 1700 X its volume is an amazing phenomenon. When a student asked me this question, I was stumped:
Is the expansion relative to the pressure? In other words, when water is pressurized to let's say psi and heat is added enough to boil it, will it still expand 1700 X?
I am embarrassed to admit that I was stumped. Immediately I said yes and then had to say I need to research that question. I feel inclined to think that water under pressure will not expand as much. A little help???
Zman

Comments

• steamfitter
    steamfitter Member Posts: 156
    Options
    Sorry guys, I meant to write: ...100 psi, and heat is added...
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I would think that the boiling point of the water would change by pressure but it would probably still expand at the same rate????
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    I'm going to say that yes, it will remain the same, because the pressure is all relative.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    you need to look at steam tables. Remember pressure has to be in psi absolute. Steam at atmospheric pressure 14.696 absolute is at 212º F and the saturated liquid occupies .016719 cu.ft. per pound(weight). The saturated vapor occupies 26.799 cu. ft. per lb. so it expands 1,602 times. Steam at 117.992 psi absolute and 340ºF the sat liquid occupies .01787 cu.ft. per lb. . The sat vapor occupies 3.7878 cu. ft. per lb.. So it expands 211.96 times.
    bob
    ChrisJsteamfitter
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,525
    Options
    Bob is right.
    Retired and loving it.
    ChrisJ
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    I was wrong. Woohoo! But now we know.
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Yet another reason to keep those pressures down (and a very good explanation of how it all works.) Now we just need to explore the numbers in a vacuum!!! :wink:
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    So what is the expansion rate when you boil the water under pressure and release the steam to atmospheric pressure? Gotta be some condensation.
    bob_46
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Here's a great little pdf with all the info in one place: http://cincinnatitriplesteam.org/documents/SteamTables.pdf
    It speaks directly to @ChrisJ 's? (I think it was you chris!) comments on the possibly corrosive effects of condensate, and so many other issue constantly addressed on this forum.

And how did I miss this gem right in my back yard? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa3luVezzq4
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
    steamfitter
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,525
    Options
    Harvey, if you release it to atmosphere its 1,700 to 1 again. Stand back.
    Retired and loving it.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    That explains how water heater tanks and boilers can fly. :o
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    I think I have mentioned before that my father worked in power plants for 32 years. He used to take me there anytime they had anything "cool" disassembled for maintenance. He was the maintenance supervisor. Anyway we were walking around on the turbine deck once and he points up at the main steam pipe feeding the turbine and says "if that line ruptures we are all dead....instantly. That pipe was carrying 3600PSI super heat steam at I THINK 1100 F. If memory serves it was a 10" line, but I can't remember for sure. So vent that to atmosphere and it returns to 1700:1...it's a lot of steam.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Larry_52
    Larry_52 Member Posts: 182
    Options
    3600psi and 1100deg super heated steam had to be a critical universal boiler. The critical point being when steam and water have the same density so there is no way to get natural circulation. If the main steam line ruptured on a unit as such yes your father was correct, most people in the plant are dead, thank god for ASME. What wouldn't happen is the whole 1700 time expansion as you envision it. Any water would flash due to rapid depressurization but the convection path of the super heaters would be a choke path.
    KC_Jones
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    It was as you say a "super critical" boiler. Can't remember all the details (he retired 10 years ago), but I remember him talking about how different that one was from the other 3 units in the plant....less forgiving for sure. I would say the "choke point" is relative considering the size of those boilers. Can't remember if it was that unit or another, but if memory serves the feed pump was something like 400HP....it could flow a lot of steam. Those weren't even "big" units 4 units, total output was 1000 MW. Biggest unit was 415 MW. There are single units bigger than that whole plant. It's a fascinating site to see for sure, the scale of the mechanics is hard to wrap your brain around even when you see it.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Larry_52
    Options
    I imagine you left a zero out of that feed pump. 4000hp is more in tune to feed such a boiler. Consider that I use multiple 2000hp feed pumps for a 200MW unit.
  • Larry_52
    Options
    If the biggest unit was 400mw the boiler probably flowed steam at psi and temp mentioned in the low 3 million pound per hour range.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Now that I think of it you are correct...it's been a LONG time since I was around it. I am probably thinking of the salt water pumps for the condensers.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • steamfitter
    steamfitter Member Posts: 156
    Options
    Great discussion and interesting information!
    Thanks Bob for referring me to the Steam Table. I should have known to check the table as there is a Volume (cu. ft./lb) column. The table I have is very basic and rounds off the numbers; from 0 psig/14.7 psia @ 27 cu.ft./lb of Steam to 125 psig/140 psia @ 3 cu. ft./lb of Steam.
    I forgot that volume is included in the Properties of Saturated Steam Table.
    I really appreciate the knowledge you guys have on the subject and this valuable resource: heatinghelp.com! Thanks Dan!
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Larry said:

I imagine you left a zero out of that feed pump. 4000hp is more in tune to feed such a boiler. Consider that I use multiple 2000hp feed pumps for a 200MW unit.

Talked to my Dad today I forgot those feed pumps are run off the turbine not a separate electric motor. He said they are about 15k HP. My memory is really failing me lately. This is the plant he used to work at:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_A._Wagner_Generating_Station
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40