Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Threading in place?

JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
edited October 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
As you can see, I'm connecting new valves to previously bent and welded pipe. My guys are using a mix of the Ridgid 700 and threading by hand. Am I missing something? Is there a better tool for this? The 700 scares me. It's heavy and awkward.
Thanks!
Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    I've threaded in place with a ridgid pony but use a 4' backup wrench or a 3' with a cheater on it. I haven't used the pony on anything more than 1" to thread anything in place. I think the hand threader would be safer if it's bigger than 1"
    Bob Bona_4
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    I've done 1 1/4 with the handheld, 2 guys, one to oil and help hold, the other guy to do the bulk of the threading, on a 6 foot ladder. Not too bad but that first bite is jarring.
    JohnNYZman
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I've done up to 1 1/4" in place with a Ridgid 600. Gotta make sure the pipe vice they give ya is REALLY tight or you're going for a ride.
    Steve Minnich
    Bob Bona_4jonny88
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I've used the Rigid 600 to do 1 1/4" in place. It comes with the pipe clamp/vise to hold the tool as it threads. The pipe clamp is necessary even on 1/2" IMO as the tool has a lot of plastic in the handle (really good plastic, but still plastic). The 1 1/4" really tests the durability of the clamp....you want it very tight with the teeth clean.
    Bob Bona_4
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Going for a ride..lol. 25 years ago, when employed by an oil co. my helper was up on a extension ladder drilling a 3 1/2" hole thru the side of a house with a right angle, for a minisplit. The drill had a tendency to lock "on". Well, Lee caught a knot or a nail that threw him off the ladder, he landed on the grass below. We watched the drill continue to spin, taking out a nearby picture window with the protruding handle, until it wrapped up the cord enough to pull it out of the extension cord. The homeowner was watching open mouthed from said picture window.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Holehawg with large bits.....I've learned by using high speed most of the time, the drill will stall. Not fun but with two handles I could cope. However in low speed it doesn't stall, then you go for the ride.
    Bob Bona_4
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Mega-Press?
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    edited October 2015
    A 700 is a tool that has my complete respect , it can and will hurt a brother.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

SWEIJohnNY
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    edited October 2015
    I would use Mega Press if you can. Don't know if it's allowed in the big city or not though.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Ive used a 700 with a 1 inch chuck adapter to drive a 2 1/2 to 4 inch adjustable die in place both vertically and hortizontally and i am not a giant nor of super human strenth .Just make sure your piping can handle the weight more then a few times i ve had to build temporary bracing to sure up the piping .Usually in place w the 700 about 15 to 20 minutes with getting the die on and off but sometimes a few hours for the set up .Its not impossible task and in the proper hands not a biggie i ve done it more then i care to think about and only a few times where we forced to do it by hand which was harder and much more un safe in my eyes espically on a vertical hanging pipe with a bit of height nothing to get leverage against .Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    JohnNY
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    edited October 2015
    Nice view,never had a problem threading by hand largest we did was 2in.I guess megapress is an easier solution if you have the equipment.I always like to go back to riser is the tee on riser brazed?Sorry didnt read the welded part.Always risky with city work you gotta worry about that riser god forbid something broke.I think Viega are getting mega press passed in the city for certain applications not on gas though.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    I like the REMS Amigo for "in place"work.
    Jimbo_5
  • AFred
    AFred Member Posts: 81
    The Rems Amigo is a great tool for that. It has a bracket that bolts onto the pipe and holds everything in place.
  • Local1Plumber
    Local1Plumber Member Posts: 10
    Nice pic! I would definitely thread it by hand although I have used the Rigid 690 in tight spots. It's a little easier to hold then the 700.
    JohnNY
  • JohnNY
    That Amigo thing looks pretty cool.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • jonny88
    Come on 3/4 pipe.Not a problem by hand John.Get your hand on some wrenches again and get stuck in...............
    JohnNY
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    At least you have a great view while doing it!--NBC
  • JohnNY
    Hahahahaha, @jonny88,
    It's 1" and I do my fair share when the chips are down. Believe me. I still carry a comprehensive bag of hand tools. Not because I want to. Some days it's either I do it or it ain't happenin'.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    RobG
  • jonny88
    Yep but honestly a company your size in NY sometimes the best tool is your phone cause when that stops ringing your in trouble.Work is the easy part.Getting it and getting paid not so....In my experience anyway.
    RobGBrewbeer
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    jonny88 said:

Yep but honestly a company your size in NY sometimes the best tool is your phone cause when that stops ringing your in trouble.Work is the easy part.Getting it and getting paid not so....In my experience anyway.

Yup can't agree more about payment crap....when your doing the job ,its there money,when your done its your money... The power of the permit, no pay,no inspection no turn on....get your money in the glory...How many times have you herd, gee the guys at work said that was a lot of money,they got it done much cheaper..Your hard work that you were proud of just went down the crapper....It only takes one (ahole) to ruin your day... That type of people burned me out....