Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

t stat ??

need to replace the thermostat in our church. 2stage heat, 2stage cool, programmable. would u offer preferences?

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,584
    I believe the Honeywell Visionpro 8000 series is still used by most here and there should be a version of it to handle that.

There's a commercial version of it as well, but I don't know what the difference is other than the cost.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I have used Honeywell, 8000 series (old number) or vision pro IAQ type.

Touchscreen is lockable, one of the 3 locking modes will allow temp change only until next program time.

Max and min temps are set by installer.

This has kept busy fingers out of the programming schedule; you don't find the heat left at 80 degrees and the AC will not get jammed down to 55 degrees for 3 days. (It cools quicker that way, you know :s )
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    I'm just a HO, but have found the WiFi feature WAY MORE useful than I would have thought. Not only can I adjust the temp off-site, but it notifies me if the temps are above or below a certain pre-set number, or if it's been reset.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    HEATON, you might like the WiFI if you are the go-to guy for Tstat operation. My 2 churches are 2 blocks away so a visit is a minor social event for me.

For one church used 2 times a week, there is no programing for AC. Whoever needs it just bumps it down as needed. Default is set at 90 and the manual override will be reset to 90 after 4 to 6 hours. 72 is the coolest they get.

Heating is programed for the 2 times a week usage. 75 is the warmest that can be set to.

Even the Wednesday coffee ladies can operate the T-stat as needed.

Another handy feature is fan recirculate, fan is on about 1/3 of the time in heating season only. The cold air returns are all high wall type and all supply duct is in slab. This keeps the slab warmer in winter, (also contains water lines).
    This also kept from having to install paddle fans in the cathedral ceiling, (no attic).
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    I'd suggest the Honeywell 8000 series as well. The new model (white backlight) has both residential & commercial modes, is a breeze to program, & offers wireless remote sensors & wireless unit operation with the right accessories (REDLink). IIRC it (the new model) is not available with WiFi, the WiFi model is similar to the old style (green backlight), but slightly different shape. Search for "Honeywell Total Connect Comfort" on Google Play to download the app, there is a demo site you can look at.
  • Steam
    Steam Member Posts: 45
    I have the EcoBee3 Wifi thermostat. It works great. I can monitor and adjust the temperature while I am away. It sends alerts too. I use it for heat, but it can be utilized for heating or cooling.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,584
    Steam said:

I have the EcoBee3 Wifi thermostat. It works great. I can monitor and adjust the temperature while I am away. It sends alerts too. I use it for heat, but it can be utilized for heating or cooling.

How well does it work with steam?
    Can you change CPH or some other duty cycle?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Steam
    Steam Member Posts: 45
    It works good with my steam system. I didn't have a C wire, so I purchased the Argo IR 882 isolation relay. I used an old controller box to mount it inside of. The 24 V power comes from a transformer I wired in. This goes to power the board on the designated 24V terminals. The R & W go to their designated terminals, and out of the terminals come R, W & C which goes to the EcoBee.

You can customize various settings within the thermostat control panel. This includes temperature drop, adjust the temperature in case it is out of cal, ignore remote sensor, or main sensor and so on. The "minimum on time" setting is supposed to act like the CPH setting.

I'll be experimenting more with the thermostat and system in general this year. I'll also add some proper venting to the mains, as I took some walls down, and noticed a small Gorton valve on the main. I'll be ordering a box of No. 2's to put in the mains so I get steam to the mains and radiators quicker. Along with a vaporstat things should be better than last year.

The only thing I wish I had was a VFD setup to modulate my stoker and get the most efficiency out of the beast.