Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Garvity conversion

WD
WD Member Posts: 5
This is my first gravity conversion.I have been reading posts on this but have a question. I am going to use a triangle tube boiler and pump it thru the boiler. No primary and seconday. I am going to use trvs on the rads do I need to use a differential pressure by pass valve. I am also going to use constant circulation. If I don't use trvs can I still pump thru the boiler.

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    You can use a delta p circ. skip the differential bypass.

Did you do calculations of the existing EDR to the room by room actual heat load? Be nice to be able to get the most out of that boiler with lowest possible temps.
    jonny88TinmanSWEIZman
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    You will likely run into trouble with the Triangle Tube boiler with this configuration. They are pretty picky about maintaining that minimum flow rate through the boiler. If you want to set up in that fashion, I would look at Energy Kinetics new modcon. Due to their hx design, they have no minimum flow rate.

Harvey
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Harvey wont their primary loop with circ provide enough flow for boiler?
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    sorry re read the post no p/s.
  • WD
    WD Member Posts: 5
    Should I do p/s with this boiler instead. Yes I did a room by room head load.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    edited August 2015
    I would do P/S for decoupling and piece of mind. Really, how much extra time and $ is it?

Agree on an ECM circ with the TRV's.
    TinmanHatterasguyZman
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Boy Harvey Energy Kinetics totes quite a mouthful. Got any real data on their condensing boiler line. Looks like an overly sized Fire tube to me. They are proud about using superior grade SS compared to other boiler manufactors 316?? It is thicker gauge. What is your opinion on their DHW production tactic? Plate HX. Concentrate on the top of the tank.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Gordy,
    I inspected a cut-away of their heat exchanger and was impressed. It's actually serviceable and the design inhibits any hot spots due to lack of water flow. I like it. I don't have any hard data on it other than what their engineers and sales team provided me with. They swore to me that their is no minimum flow rate. Upon inspection, you can see why. I am anxious to install one and see it perform.

The DHW production.... whatever. I have never been a fan of producing hot water that way. It works but IMO there are better ways. I also don't prefer all those piping connections on top of the boiler. You get an unattended leak, it'll cause a lot of damage.