Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydronic Panel Radiator placement in a large room

Scott_Mountain_View_CA
Scott_Mountain_View_CA Member Posts: 202
edited August 2015 in Radiant Heating
I'm heating a 725 sq ft great room with Rutal panel rads. One one end of the room is a long exterior wall. I've read that it's best to position panel rads on exterior walls, but if i did this I would have no panels on the opposite of the 23' long room, an interior wall with heated rooms on the other side. How important is it to put rads on both ends of a large room, rather than placing them just on the exterior wall with windows?

Attached is a layout showing Rutal wall panels under 2 exterior wall windows. There is sufficient BTUH output from these 2 rads to meet great room total heat loss at design. The fireplace is a high quality gas log set which puts out substantial heat (not factored into the heating equation).

Do I need a panel at the opposite end of the room?image

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    I can't open the XLSX spread sheet, so am speaking somewhat blindly. In an ideal situation, you want to place the radiator on the coolest potential wall to raise the MRT, and avoid your body seeing the lower MRT associated with outside walls, windows etc.

With that said, I have successfully placed radiators on inside walls and not received any complaints from the end users. Try posting the picture in another format, and I will try and look at it again later today.

In the radiant floor world, we typically place the highest water temperatures near the outside walls first and work our way inward. I had an errant employee who did a whole house completely backwards, introducing the hottest water in the core and working its way toward the outlying walls. I decided to let it ride and see if the consumer complained. During my first year checkup, I asked the consumer how they liked their system, and their response was "Fantastic comfort"...

I think maybe placement is not as critical as most people would have us believe. My first radiant wall project had ALL the radiant walls on internal walls, and it too works like a champ.

In my own home, I have radiant walls on the inside walls,and although I can sense where the radiant energy is coming from (I am more cognizant about these things than most people) it is nice and comfortable. Of course, I have radiant windows that are on the outside walls, and I think that has a LOT to do with the increased MRT and associated comfort.

YMMV...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Radiant energy travels in all directions at the speed of light.

A good analogy is steeping out of the shade into the sunlight on a cold winter day. You feel the radiant energy transfer almost immediately.

With most panel rads you get both the radiant energy transfer and some convection. The convection will move the heat energy throughout the room.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Scott_Mountain_View_CA
    Scott_Mountain_View_CA Member Posts: 202
    edited August 2015
    Mark, PDF file attached.

I'm trying to avoid adding a third rad in the portion of the room at the bottom of the drawing due to logistic issues. If I had to install a 3rd rad it would be positioned where noted.

Design temp = 39 degrees. Heat loss = 13 BTUH/sq ft.

• Bob, were you able to view my room layout? Do you believe the positioning of the 2 rads will provide a comfortable space through the room? Notice the sofa area is not in line of sight to the rads....does this mean that area will be heated by convection and not radiation? Does it matter from a comfort perspective?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Just crank up the entertainment center for additional btu's :)
    Two will work. That 3rd one facing the fireplace may not add enough comfort for the hassle. Cover the load with enough radiator output and the room will heat.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Rich_49
  • Thanks Bob. The 2 rads cover the heat load requirement. I'm runnin' with it.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    What HR said. Its a wide open room, so it will work fine. If it doesn't, like he said, turn on the home entertainment system. I use a large flat screen TV to top off my office at my mountain home. Works great and it is on the radiant plane.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    Rich_49
  • LOL....my 50" plasma tv heats the room on a cool fall evening. I guess I'm buying expensive Runtals for those 9 annual design days :wink:
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Amazing if this were a job on Long Island your entire room would be wrapped in baseboard.........
    Rich_49
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Sounds like it's time to get a 70" TV. Lol