Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

82 years old and back in business

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,587
I posted about this a while ago and just wanted to update the few that were interested.
My 1933 fridge is finally complete and back in use as of July 4th 2015.

Current cycle times are approximately 6 minutes on 13 minutes off with a cabinet temp of around 31F. Power consumption is 170W for a few seconds dropping down to around 168W which then continues to slow drop until the machine shuts off at around 153W. This is including the 12W crank case heater's consumption. Power factor is around 0.6. The 12W crank case heater is required because the compressor dome is the highside and the refrigerant likes to condense and lay under the oil.

Refrigerant is methyl formate. Oil is around 2 quarts of highly refined "Nujol" mineral oil according to the service manual. The oil floats on top of the refrigerant and is removed from the evaporator via a skimmer.

When running hard such as freezing ice the condenser runs in the high 90s and the top of the compressor around 104F which gives a high side pressure of around 3 PSI. The evaporator runs between 8F and 14F which gives a lowside pressure of between 25" and 26" HG although it has no issue pulling it below 27" HG if it runs long enough.

I had to convert this from a highside float to a capillary tube as the valve seat was badly damaged. I'm told, with a float valve the cycle times are typically slightly better than I'm seeing but I guess it is what it is.

82 years old and still pumping like the day it was made. Isn't it amazing what can be made if a company engineers it to last?

This has a rotary compressor that according to GE was "machined to a few ten-thousandths of an inch". So far, I've yet to see another and I expect it's due to the tolerances required for it to work. It has a centrifugal type unloader as well as some how supplies the bearings with oil under pressure. There's a fan on top which I assume is to help cool the windings.

Here are two short videos of a compressor someone removed from a unit because it was seized. After removing it he was able to free it up by hand.

Compressor running exposed
https://youtu.be/bfkNLHy9nkw

Compressor turned by hand to show how it pumps
https://youtu.be/gn0u7dFBCTk

@Techman
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
Robert O'BrienKC_JonesCanuckerSWEIJStar4Johnpipe

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    ChrisJ, I'm gonna track you down and shake your hand. I am truly truly impressed.
    ChrisJ
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Where's the beer. Eggs don't need 31* Sprite and butter don't either.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    unclejohn said:

Where's the beer. Eggs don't need 31* Sprite and butter don't either.

I'm currently trying real hard to drop the sprite zero and drink 100% water, I'm hoping I can finally make the switch.

However, I like all of my drinks to be as cold as possible without freezing and I don't drink alcohol. Yes, I know, I'm boring. ;)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    HillyRich_49
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    About 10 years ago I stopped drinking soda, all I drink now are flavored seltzers. They have no sugar and no questionable sugar substitutes, When I want something with more zest I just add a few ounces of gin.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    KC_Jones
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I love that thing!
    ChrisJ
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    @ChrisJ I drink lots of water, I just prefer it with grains and hops. Yuengling Summer Wheat delicious.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ChrisJ
    KC_Jones said:

@ChrisJ I drink lots of water, I just prefer it with grains and hops. Yuengling Summer Wheat delicious.

You already know my thoughts.
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Fantastic!!!
    I have a 1940 Model GE Frig that started short cycling. On time is about 30-40 seconds. I suspect it is the relay-overload, but could sure use come advice from someone who knows what they're doing.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ

Fantastic!!!
    I have a 1940 Model GE Frig that started short cycling. On time is about 30-40 seconds. I suspect it is the relay-overload, but could sure use come advice from someone who knows what they're doing.

Do you hear the evaporator boiling during that 30-40 seconds? Does it seem to cool at all? My first assumption is stuck float valve assuming the compressor starts.

I'm not the best to ask and you'll get far better answers if you post about it on our forum. I'm guessing yours is a CF machine?

http://monitortop.freeforums.net/

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Thanks, I'll get back to you
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Late to the party here, @chrisj, but still wanted to congratulate you on finally getting her done. Still beautiful after all these years (and a lot of hard work.)

@Dave in QCA , you should join the monitor top forum. they post other fridges like mine and :)'t seen you posting here for a while...welcome back.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    edited August 2015
    I'm still amazed at what it sounds like every time it starts and shuts off. It sounds completely different from any compressor I've ever had.

That, and the thermostat clicks fairly loud.