Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lochinvar MTLC

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
Has anyone had any experience with Lochinvar's Multi-Temperature Loop Control? I'm using one next week for the first time and was wondering what others thought of it? The things I have heard have all been positive so far.
Steve Minnich

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    I'd like to know also. I've found that using smart valves or variable speed injection mixing cost far less when considering all the components. In fact, I've had Lochinvar quote me two totally different prices for the control based upon whether it was a new install or a retro fit.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Too expensive here. We can build a multi-temp DDC system with indoor feedback for about the same money.
  • Tinman
    I'm having a helluva time getting my hands on one now. My supply house said they stocked it first. They don't. Nor does Lochinvar. The famous Internet company's website said they had 3 in stock so I ordered 1 overnight air. Got an email today that they shipped some Webstone product I needed but not the control - the thing I need the most. They must not have had any either. Aargh
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    Ha! As I was typing and venting on the last post, I got the email that the control has shipped. Success! Glad I didn't name names.
    Steve Minnich
  • Shane_2
    Shane_2 Member Posts: 191
    Please don't forget to post after your install. I too, am very interested in how well this product works and time savings etc.
  • Tinman
    We start Monday. The job is just out of state and quite a bit of the work has been pre-piped on a board. I'll be sure to post a few pics.
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    I had to bring this post back up. So I finally got the Lochinvar Multi-Temperature Loop Control and I have a question concerning shielded cable.

I installed the control today and Twisted Pair Shielded Cable is necessary between the control and the Cascade A and B terminals on the WHN board. When I read the directions, I overlooked the "twisted pair", not on purpose - just missed it and I installed just regular shielded cable.

If there is good communication between the WHN and the MTLC, the Rx and Tx LED's on the control are suppose to stay lit. In this case they are flickering. Can the "twisted pair" make that much of a difference in the amount of interference???

Thanks much!
    Steve Minnich
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Depending on the type of environment the wire runs thru, there may be enough EMI to affect the control. When you installed the shielded cable, did you ground the shield on one side of the cable?
  • Tinman
    Yes. They actually called for it to be grounded on both sides. I tried disconnecting the ground on one side and it didn't make any difference.
    Steve Minnich
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    I don't know anything about the control you speak of, but I do work with twisted pair sensor wiring in the automotive field quite a bit.

We use it for antilock brake wiring and any signal circuit to and from an RF emitting or receiving device (such as tire pressure sensor receivers, key fob receivers, and so on).

I do know that if I do a repair to abs sensor wiring, and use my own wire, I do have to twist it. I think it's a minimum of 10 or 12 twists every 6", using 2 wire with shield. And yes, they want the shield grounded to the chassis AND to the ground circuit of the component.

Done incorrectly, the wires will pick up stray voltage (such as statically induced voltage from tire to road contact) and muck up the signal. Been there done that!
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    Thank you FranklinD...thats very helpful.
    Steve Minnich