Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cleaning plugged Buderus GB142 HX

Dobber
Dobber Member Posts: 91
I just had to replace a hx on an 8 yr old GB142. It was on LP and even though it was serviced regularly the inner fins (which are difficult to see) were completely plugged off. Does anyone know of a cleaner/ acid that will attack the blockage but leave the aluminum alone?

Thanks
If you don't have time to do it right, what makes you think you have time to do it over?

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Buderus recommends mineral oil in a 80/20 mixture.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Dobber
    That has already been attempted.Several times. I'm looking to take it to the next level.This will not be done on an installed unit.
    Thanks
    If you don't have time to do it right, what makes you think you have time to do it over?
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Kind of figured that,but it's all I got! Call Buderus
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    I've found the mineral oil treatment ineffective, at least on LP. It's been the old fashioned brush and flush. The GB HXers have rough fin castings which add to the fun.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Be sure to get at least the belly pan gasket, if not the upper cover gasket too, and a new flame rod/ignitor/gaskets.
    Ironmanjonny88
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    What's "plugging" it? It sounds like you may have a combustion issue. Mineral oil has always worked for me and I've got quite a few out there that I've installed. The only thing stronger that I can think of is ice machine cleaner, but that would need to be circulated over it to be effective. I would check with Buderus tech support before doing it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    If the HX is that bad that you were thinking of having to swap it out I would try aluminum wheel cleaner. What have you to lose.
  • Dobber
    I've got quite a few out there too. I was a big fan.Unfortunately Buderus is changing their tune from when I started installing them. They are now saying that with LP that you should be servicing them TWICE A YEAR OR MORE if needed. How are you supposed to sell a product with those requirements? My biggest fear is that this is just the beginning.
    So basically I've got a hx to experiment with. Mineral oil isn't going to cut it. Bin' there dun that. I want to fill the hx with something to eat this crap out so when this happens again I can save the hx or swap it out with the one I have.
    I like the idea of the wheel cleaner is a good one kc.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    jonny88spoon22
  • Bob Bona_4
    I like the wheel cleaner idea. However, LP ones I've done don't have dust, they have white lava rock deposits. Not a fan.
  • Dobber
    I like the lava rock description. Very appropriate.
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 265
    Sometimes the engineers get it wrong, or sales outsells a product. Not all products are good for all applications. Wise is the man who can get right the first time. I just wish it was not so darn hard to figure it out! Sometimes I have to walk to another manufacturer. My principle is if it won't last with minimal or specialized maintenance it won't last. People, especially building owners are always in control and are not always the best to be in control. Its bad enough I need a rocket scientist and instruments to light a fire under a pot of water. Go figure.
  • HEATON
    HEATON Member Posts: 117
    Have experience with the severe accumulation (on the combustion side) . The gasses and condensate are acidic so the attac on the HX is bad engineering. If u check the manual , u will find the instruction of maintenance is cleaning annually and replacing gaskets. This is expensive for the homeowner , the last set I bought was 160.00 dealer cost. With todays service rates and lagit markup its : the high eff. giveth and maintenance taketh away . Use CLR and brushes and source the gaskets on line. The igniter assy is also good to have as as a spare ,for its specific to that boiler ,and not usuall found on supply house shelf, when your down,in the winter. Iv stopped selling alum. HX boilers.
  • Captain
    Captain Member Posts: 30
    Cleaner for aluminum heat exchangers.

http://axiomind.sasktelwebhosting.com/boiler-cleaner.php