Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Devil's Graveyard

Paul48
Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
Out of curiousity..........Has anyone else seen this documentary? If not, I think it's on next Sunday morning at 11 a.m. For any that have seen it...thoughts?

Comments

• Paul48
    I'll give you the basics, as I understand it. This scientist identified 12 areas, called vile vortices, evenly placed around our globe. They are all areas that have strange happenings. The Bermuda Triangle is the most,well known for us. He discovered that in each of these vortices, there is a radio-active aluminum isotope that, in itself is not magnetic, but interferes with magnetic fields. Long story, short........He theorizes that these areas are slowing the magnetosphere of the planet, and that is what is causing the depeletion of our atmosphere. If nothing is done, the molten core will stop, our atmosphere will be blown away by solar winds, and we will be like Mars. Governments of the world have known this for quite a while. The Nazi's tried to weaponize this isotope during the second world war.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Sounds like something for Agents Mulder and Scully to look into?
    Steve Minnich
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Paul48
    I don't know what to make of it, but it is every bit as plausible as your hairspray causing global warming...lol
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Except that 99.99999% of the legitimate scientific community agrees on the causes of global warming. The other 0.00001% is being paid off by big energy companies.
    ChrisJSolid_Fuel_ManAlan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Paul48
    I don't think they meant to say that the things we're doing aren't causing global warming. I think it was meant to say.....we better take a look at this also. The deterioration is happening way too fast. It's not a conspiracy thing. We're all in the same boat.
    They talk about the accelerated shifting of the poles, and the pollutants we put into the atmosphere don't fit that symptom. It could be all BS....who knows. I do know, that if it proves to be real, the scientific community will do as they always do.....they will jump on board, and experts will come out of every crevice.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    A hundred years from now, most of what is today considered to be indisputable scientific fact, may prove to be a pharse.

Human's understanding of all that surrounds us is infantile.
    GordySolid_Fuel_ManMikeAmann
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited July 2015

A hundred years from now, most of what is today considered to be indisputable scientific fact, may prove to be a pharse.

Human's understanding of all that surrounds us is infantile.

Seems the deeper we dig into our very distant past the less we actually know about that past, and the more questions become of
    it.

Solid_Fuel_Man
  • JStar
    The overwhelming majority of the scientific community is acutely aware that "facts" can change. But, they have a pretty solid grasp on many more concepts than not. New details may alter a theory a little bit, but the general foundation is fairly elemental. We're at a place in history where we can observe the weight of sub-atomic particles. We have a spacecraft that travelled 3 billion miles and is now orbitting Pluto! Climate change is kids stuff. It's not even deabatable (except among civilians and CEO's). The only time scientific doubt reaches the collective mind is when a crackpot author publishes a highly biased and under-developed hypothesis and presents it as fact without peer-review. Then the mass-media jumps on it and the carousel of misinformation starts spinning. It's really, truly sad. That 0.000001% of bad information is holding us back from another 1,000 years of development like the Dark Ages.

That being said, some of the exact concepts of science could change at some point, but the way we have it mapped out now seems to work for nearly every part of our existence. The main problem is that human beings are pattern-recognition machines, and the universe has no obligation to operate within any pattern at all. Humans won't go extinct from World War III. It'll be because of scientific illiteracy.
    ChrisJ
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Where's my pay off? Exxon hasn't sent me a dime.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • JStar
    Become governor of your state, and you'll get a phone call shortly.
    SWEI
  • Paul48
    "Human's understanding of all that surrounds us is infantile".

I think Harvey said it best.
    GordyHatterasguySolid_Fuel_Man
  • Paul48
    I believe that some of our advancements actually hinder our growth. Our ability to communicate an idea globally, with a keystroke, can trigger an outcry from those with opposing views, so loud, it affectively kills the idea before it has a chance. When whole industries have grown from a belief, they will do anything in their power to squash ideas to the contrary. I'm not just talking about global warming. Where are the "great minds" of today? Let's look at our space exploration. We are still traveling into space, using propulsion created 1000? years ago in China. Mankinds advancement seems to have stopped. We don't dream "BIG" anymore. We are capable of so much more.
  • JStar
    Bill Nye
    Neil DeGrasse Tyson
    Stephen Hawking
    Lawrence Krauss
    Michio Kaku

Just to name a few. These are some of the smartest men on the planet. They are all working on the concept of moving away from fossil fuels, particularly with space travel. We can currently travel in space at about 35,000 MPH. That's pretty damn good! The fact that we can travel into space at all is amazing. It is truly a wonder.

The idea behind technology is that the products themselves are not so great, but that they allow the time to pursue other passions. The greatest technological boom in the history of mankind was in the mid to late 1800's with the invention of the steam engine and telegraph. We have yet to come even close to that kind of growth since.

But why stop? Humanity's greatest attribute is our ability to dream beyond ourselves and to imagine the impossible.
  • Paul48
    There is no debating the damage that fossil fuels are destroying our enviroment. That was never the intent here. But, you can't slam the door on the possibility that there are other contributing factors to our eventual demise. We travel, in space at those speeds because of the conditions in space. We are still using ancient technology to achieve those speeds. Those are all brilliant men, but will they even be worthy of a footnote when discussing those that have contributed to the advancement of mankind? Humanity's greatest attribute, must be, to make the impossible, possible.
  • JStar
    The problem with judging our advancements in the modern age is that most innovations are classified as modifications and alterations. I don't blame those great minds for not developing something that we've never even imagined before. The rate of innovation slows every year.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    4Johnpipe said:

I have heard the statement "that's the way we have done it for the past 15, 20 or 30 years like this" 4 times this week so far. Once from a client, one from an inspector and 2 separate contractors. Those who think they already know are destined to learn nothing...

Imagine if doctors made these kinds of statements? Why should any person in any profession be exempt from learning?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Canucker
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Um, can we get back to Heating Help?
  • JStar
    RobG said:

Um, can we get back to Heating Help?

It's air conditioning season. What else is there to talk about?
    4Johnpipe
  • RobG

Sure, what would you like to know about heating? ;)

Grasshopper, when you can snatch the BTU's from my hand you will be ready for heating season :p .
    CanuckerSWEIMarkSZman
  • Paul48
    This one falls into the chatting with friends category. It's just meant to be thought provoking, not people provoking. Things are slow, heating-wise, and it's good to keep the mind sharp.
    CanuckerHatterasguy
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    I am doing lots of heating this past couple of weeks. The gas guys are back in the area laying in pipe to houses and I am going as fast as I can to keep up. Changed out two boilers and one furnace this past week and a half, along with service calls. I have three heating conversion bids out right now. And I work alone.
    Since we don't do much air conditioning here, actually none, this has been a blessing to me to have the work.
    But, I am caught up on the emergency installs right now and am taking the weekend off. Possibly to go fishing for the first time in 4 years. Some out of towner just caught a 370 pound halibut fishing with a client of mine. Might be time to go!
    Rick
    RobG4JohnpipeSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I find this discussion very interesting.

Modern heating is based on science and physics and so is this thread.

That's our link.
    Steve Minnich
    JStar
  • JStar

I find this discussion very interesting.

Modern heating is based on science and physics and so is this thread.

That's our link.

And maybe even moreso than skilled trade, we're in the business of psychology and sociology. You can't keep the personalities away from this website. The people are the best part of this forum.
    MikeAmann
  • Paul48
    Sorry Gentlemen.............I'll only post things related to heating, in the future, and save the curiosities for friends.
  • RobG
    Paul48 said:

Sorry Gentlemen.............I'll only post things related to heating, in the future, and save the curiosities for friends.

Paul, I apologize. I meant no offence, even my wife tells me that I have an awful sense of humor and I am the only one that finds myself funny. After all, no one made me read past the first post.
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 265
    People, people, people. Please stop the fallacious arguments. It makes one look less educated. No matter how zealous we are it is wiser to speak from experience or known facts without an agenda. Many over 60 recognize the weather we have today as the same it was 50 years ago. The difference today is we have people working for grants that need an excuse to pry money from the people via politicians turned weather predictors. As this planet warms up again it will just be going through a normal cycle. We cannot rely on selective memories limited in time. 99% of us will never agree on everything, even in the face of facts; so stop claiming it. Did we even think to count those who have no opinion, or do not know? They don't disappear when we total the numbers. Many fail to even follow the entire physical "change of state" in the world and Sun which is the source of our planets energy. Many can't all understand vapor and vacuum steam systems alike, how could anyone truly begin to calculate the variables in a planet's ecosystem? For those too young to be mature, do you remember the year without a summer? All the crops died and millions died of starvation. It was not global warming it was simply dear old mother Earth belching a little gas from a volcano that spread ash over much of the atmosphere. If we can't match that power how could we assume to have the power to affect change that a volcano did in a week? We have not been able to do that during our entire race's existence I am thinking. Sure we can change the land, the air; so can other species and nature herself. We burn, so does nature. The fact is we cannot make or destroy a planet. We can only destroy or make each other. How can we determine nature's design when over a million years we can only see and experience less than one billionth of it? I welcome a little global warming. What if the sun grows dim? Can you predict anything like this? Oceans are said to rise, but I checked the tide levels, they seem to be the same. But then maybe the ground moves up and down also. Did you know that soil erosion fills the seas and makes levels rise? Those who say warming will make the seas rise forget warmer water evaporates more easily. The net affect is the same as on the stove. Heat, evaporation, condensation, rain. We get to fill up our aquifers again. Maybe this ever present force we call gravity is compressing the earth and lowering the land? Its all a cycle. Live and adapt. But stop the bickering and wasting money on political arguments which are always veiled in money & power grabbing.
    The biggest threat to man is loss of trees and guess what? The warming this year has brought tremendous tree growth. Speaking of which ever look at tree rings? It tells us the yearly cycles repeat. Don't get sucked into arguments from those who make fallacious arguments to steal tax money from us. Its what they do.
    Sorry for the windy response. Did you know it is caused by global warming, just like terrorism, and the whipping I got when I was a bad boy?
    Worried? Plant a few trees. I hear the payback is good for us. Go figure. Oh and by the way did you know that a hurricane can literally plant thousands of trees in one storm? And that some seeds won't grow until the forest has burned? We live on dirt but the ocean is vast. Only danger I see today is Mankind's ego that makes him think he knows what its all about.
    Education is never complete and when you think you know it all, Mother nature cuts you down and returns you to the dust of the earth.
    A scientist knew the earth was round, but a politician had him killed for blasphemy. Pluto a planet, no its a gas cloud, no its a planet again. Really? You want to make earth changing decisions on this flip flop science? H20 freezes at 32F, are you sure? I have seen H20 in a liquid state at 25F at sea level air pressure. I learned a lesson that contradicted the public knowledge taught to me in public schools. And guess what the test answer you must use to be correct? It baffles me why so many partial truths and half truths continue to be gullibly sucked up by the masses. Climate changes are like ocean waves they are NORMAL.
    Ever hear of the 50 year cycle, the hundred year cycle, the thousand year cycle, the million year cycle? How many sides to a circle? Two; inside and outside.
    Want to survive Mother Nature? Be prepared, mobile, responsive, flexible and learn all you can.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    You realize this thread is 7 years old right?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Oceans are said to rise, but I checked the tide levels, they seem to be the same. But then maybe the ground moves up and down also.

You should probably take this argument to Florida and other costal states. Maybe buy some stock in pump companies also :)

https://www.wlrn.org/news/2022-06-21/south-florida-water-managers-expanding-two-coastal-pumps-to-battle-sea-rise
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    GGrossPC7060
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 586
    There was a pretty good research article on the Woods Hole Oceanographic site, a handful of seriously accredited authors, which seemed to indicate that yes.. we need to stop polluting the air and water generally speaking, but no.. there was not nearly enough data to conclude that we're headed to heck in a handbasket due to climate change. Too much conflicting data.
    I read that a few years ago. Then I tried to find it again a few months ago. Gone.
    Was it legit discredited or was it just purged in the name of modernity ?
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.