Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Considering a Utica SSC boiler...

john p_2
john p_2 Member Posts: 367
as a replacement to my UB90 - 150 and curious as to the sound it makes while operating. The UB90 was a little noisy and I've actually been around a few Naviens lately and love how quiet they are. Hoping to hear some opinions from people who own them. Thanks.

Comments

• todd_ecr
    todd_ecr Member Posts: 92
    John, I have one in our training center. If you'd like, I can go shoot a short video of one running. They are certainly quieter than the UB90-150.
  • john p_2
    Wow, that would be great, much appreciated. I hear nothing but great things about this boiler. Thanks
  • todd_ecr
    Hmm, the website isn't allowing me to download the video file. I'd love to post it on here so that others can see it as well.

John, I can shoot it to you in an email if you'd like.

As a note, we don't have the intake pipes attached on the units in our training center. Keep that in mind as much of the noise you hear when the cover is on, is coming from the intake.

Also this was shot with the unit running in high fire, so that will be as loud as it gets. When it modulates to low, its nearly inaudible.
  • john p_2
    Sounds great, thanks Todd. My email is johnporz@gmail.com
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Todd, upload the video to youtube then post the link.
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    You will not be sorry. I have put in quite a few SSC boilers and have not had issues with any. The installer is key I have taken over a few service accounts from guys who didn't install them correctly or set them up with a combustion analyzer.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • john p_2
    I'm sold on the SSC. The one in the attached pic appears to have boiler exhaust pipe come out of the boiler and drop down....I've never seen that before .
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    edited June 2015
    That's the air intake. The exhaust is the grey pipe. My arms were to tired to drill through two rows of brick just for intake air. It's a centrotherm polypropylene chimney liner. The termination lets makeup air into the chimney for intake. That pvc only goes in about a foot.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • todd_ecr
    I'll see what I can do to get a video up of the unit running. We do have a couple videos on YouTube.

Here is one of the manufacturing process of the SSC at our plant in Utica NY.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tVWG82k0K0
    Aaron_in_Maine
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    John p, both are a good choice weather is a Navien or a Utica, Utica also has a Cub series that’s a combo. Check it out on line, the good thing about the CUB series is that you can vent this direct or in your existing chimney.

Arron I like the use of the new taco pumps with the zone valves
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Todd ECR I am getting ready to run a Mod/Con class and could use anything in the way of Powerpoint or videos on the SSC. I just received the 12 I and O manuals from Joe Langlois I will use in the class so anything you can send would help. My e-mail is gastc@cox.net or call 401-437-0557.
  • todd_ecr
    Tim, I've added links to some of our information available on the web, however I am not able to distribute our powerpoints as they are currently being utilized in ongoing ECR training events such as our Hydronics Boot Camp.

https://vimeo.com/ecrinternational
    http://www.uticaboilers.com/product_detail.asp?key=246