Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

the dislike button

Options
j a_2
j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
I don't like the dislike button and feel it should be changed to the word disagree button. And when hit should be explaind in detail as to why you disagree.... Maybe even by a personal message...Just my 3 cents....Clear the space to help people...

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    It is an interesting feature.
    On one hand it gives you immediate feedback on whether your communication style is well received.
    It has however created some conflicts where people get in a "dislike" battle.
    I also have had it clicked by accident a couple times. When I sent a message, some will graciously un click it where one user had no idea what I was talking about a told me not to harass her.
    To me it would make sense to have a message pop up that asks if you are sure you want to "dislike".
    Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    AlCorelliNYBobbyBoy
  • j a_2
    Options
    Zman said:

It is an interesting feature.
    On one hand it gives you immediate feedback on whether your communication style is well received.
    It has however created some conflicts where people get in a "dislike" battle.
    I also have had it clicked by accident a couple times. When I sent a message, some will graciously un click it where one user had no idea what I was talking about a told me not to harass her.
    To me it would make sense to have a message pop up that asks if you are sure you want to "dislike".
    Carl

I like your thinking, so maybe its worth discussing..I just think dislike has a negative tone to it...Understanding ones disagreement gives more input and as what appears to be a talented group we can solve issues in a far more constructive manner....just me
    AlCorelliNY
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I agree. I have a couple "Dislikes" and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what there was to dislike about my comment. I just assume some people are more sensitive to what is said. For example, I got a dislike because I agreed with another poster whose comment was on target. Strange. I did send an email asking what they disliked about my post but never got a response. I think if a person disagrees, that's fine but explain why.
  • Jeff Elston
    Jeff Elston Member Posts: 289
    Options
    America, ---Disliked entire thread, never read any of it. Feel free to dislike.........
  • Jeff Elston
    Options
    oh and BTW i want the freedom to dislike my own comments!
    AlCorelliNY
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    I haven't seen the dislike button, and could not push it, as I do not know where it is!
    Also I see some posts marked "answered", when clearly they were not. I vote to remove the buttons.--NBC
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    edited June 2015
    Options
    And I have learned (from someone here much younger than me) that if you accidentally hit any of those buttons mentioned that you can just click again and remove your mistake!

The same person cluued me in on the spellcheck which I needed bably. And I thank him again for that!

And again accidentally learned that you can not give yourself any like or dislike. A message pops up to tell you that you can not give yourself a pat on the back, so to speak.

The "answered" pop up is pretty misleading. Perhaps it means "was replied to", because often it is just another question back to the OP.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think those buttons which I can now see, thanks to Hatterasguy (like), are of no use that I can see, except for causing accidental aggravation/misunderstanding. We can all make our replies about another post, and express an opinion, so why have these buttons?
    I would not want to see a like, or dislike without a well-worded exclamation, so let's get rid if them.
    Alternatively, to make my replies simpler, there could be buttons for me:
    Need more main venting.
    Check your pressure--is it too high?
    Look for a horizontal element in the returns whose height is just above the waterline height of the boiler--etc..--NBC
    HatterasguyvaporvacAlCorelliNYZmanKC_Jones
  • Fred
    edited June 2015
    Options

I haven't seen the dislike button, and could not push it, as I do not know where it is!
    Also I see some posts marked "answered", when clearly they were not. I vote to remove the buttons.--NBC

Nick, How can you say this? You gave me a dislike a few months ago!
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    I just wanted to see if anyone noticed ;)

Also just learned that if you're not signed in you don't see all the buttons below each entry. (at first thought they were all removed because of the controversy!! :o )

So the comments apparently aren't seen by non-registered readers.
  • j a_2
    Options
    Oh wow. Interesting
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I've accidentally hit "dislike" a number of times and hopefully corrected it each time because even though there may have been a post or posts that I truly disliked, I prefer to keep that to myself.
    Steve Minnich
  • Jeff Elston
    Options
    www.sunburstenergy.com

feel free to dislike!
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options
    Great points! I've removed the dislike button. Feel free to "like" this post. :smile:
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    Jeff Elstonrick in AlaskavaporvacBobC
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Erin,

With all due respect . I notice that the Awesome , dislike and disagree buttons are now gone . I believe we have just created a mutual admiration society here . May as well remove the like button also since we no longer have choice . we can now only agree by liking , keep on topic by using that button . I guess we could disagree or dislike by using the LOL button but I think that would be ineffective . It amazes me that full grown men need this type of mediation or are that whiney that the community as a whole has to conform .
    At this point all the buttons might as well go away .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Rich_49
    Options
    Maybe there could be another version of HeatingHelp for the insensitive called HeatingHelpUncensored . The coolest thing is nobody can dislike this idea
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
    Hatterasguy
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    Options
    Rich said:

Maybe there could be another version of HeatingHelp for the insensitive called HeatingHelpUncensored . The coolest thing is nobody can dislike this idea

I dislike this idea.

Ok I really don't, but the point is I can if I want.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Rich_49
    Options
    Now if 8 people disagree with stupidity they can make a conscious decision to waste valuable time explaining why whereas before someone might get the idea that it was a bad idea by the 8 dislikes . I guess donated time for the common good is not valuable and we should give more of it to help folks gratis . Leave it to the guys from the Commonwealth , birthplace of the Affordable Care Act .
    732-751-1560
  • j a_2
    Options
    I hope I did nor offend anyone of the regulars by sugestiong what I thought would help...
  • Rich_49
    Options
    ja , No offense meant but in my humble opinion your suggestion has made this a less worthwhile resource for those who seek advice here .
    732-751-1560
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Rich said:

ja , No offense meant but in my humble opinion your suggestion has made this a less worthwhile resource for those who seek advice here .

We didn't have these buttons before and the site was just as helpful?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • j a_2
    Options
    Well all of us I assume are up in age,and sometimes can be grumpy old men...who don't agree all the time...I just think if you dislike a comment it should be explained, and not used to offend
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    I'm 34.
    My only dislike for the buttons, all of them, is it seems like many accidentally click them. If that's the case it's false feedback.
  • Fred
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The site is still as helpful as it has always been. Posters don't seem to have any problem saying what they mean and that includes telling someone (anyone) that their post/advice is crap, when it is. :)
  • ChrisJ
    Options

ChrisJ said:

I
    My only dislike for the buttons, all of them, is it seems like many accidentally click them. If that's the case it's false feedback.

How does one "accidentally" click one of those buttons? You must go to the bottom of the post and carefully maneuver the mouse pointer on the top of the specific word such as "dislike". Unless you're blind, I just do not get it.
    I cannot say, I just have seen it happen and I know someone that did it.

I suspect it may happen a lot on phones. As you're scrolling with your finger if you do it just right, click.
  • Fred
    Options
    I did it accidentally once. Don't know how it happened, if I did, it wouldn't have been an accident. Anyway, when the poster asked me what I disliked, I went in and corrected it. It does happen.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options
    Thanks for all of your input. I didn’t realize this was such a hot-button topic (pun very much intended).

I removed the dislike button because what j a said rang true. If you dislike a comment, you should provide constructive feedback. Otherwise, what’s the point?

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion and since we all voiced them freely before and after there were such buttons, I didn’t think one was necessary. I also removed the Awesome button to streamline your dashboard and simplify things. No agenda here and I certainly never intended to create a mutual admiration society. Sometimes a button is just a button.

But if it’s buttons that you want, then it’s buttons you shall have. We've got more buttons than a space shuttle over here. Since a busier dashboard might make accidental clicks more likely, I won't bombard you with all of the buttons, though, especially not the self-destruct or eject ones (way too dangerous).

I think the best compromise is to bring back the Disagree and Agree buttons. Feel free to click away, but I strongly encourage you to continue providing constructive feedback so we all can keep learning from one another, as I've learned from you all today.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    rick in AlaskaJUGHNE
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    I can't quite describe the thrill when I got an "awesome" and "insightful" , or the confusion over a "dislike" and "off-topic". Thanks for listening, Erin.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
    ChrisJ
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options

jonny88 said:

Hatterasguy i hate to say it but I think what you say is the truth in my opinion.Everyone has their hand out.We had a super in a building I wont say the name of it but its on Colombus circle in the city.For a riser shutdown he wanted 3k which he got.Not bad for turning a valve which he sent a maintenance worker to do.

Just to clarify, I "disliked" because I as well think it's wrong. It's called extortion. I had to buy Redskins tickets for an inspector once. Long story!

If you agree with the post, you "like" it.

You do not "dislike" a post where you agree with the content

Hatterasguy said:

If you agree with the post, you "like" it.

You do not "dislike" a post where you agree with the content.
    That was a difficult post. If I said I liked it, it might sound like I approved of the practice so I chose to clarify.

Incorrect.

If you state that you like it, you approve of the content. The content was simply that everyone has their hand out.

If you "dislike" it, you disapprove of the content and believe the world is benevolent and not at all interested in maximizing their monetary return at your expense.

This post seems to show how " like" or "dislike" can be misunderstood. Although I clarified my dislike of the extortion, I still got poor feedback that I misused the dislike button.
    jonny88
  • Fred
    Options
    I'm just glad the buttons are back! I felt robbed when I lost my "Awesomes" :)
    RobGvaporvacErin Holohan HaskellShane_2
  • j a_2
    Options
    Good job Erin, I am and will continue to be a loyal fan of your site...YourDad is the best
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • j a_2
    Options
    Awesome
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    I'm glad we keep an "agree" button because sometimes that exactly explain the situation and a redundant explanation and entry is not necessary.

The disagree could be a response to some outrageous statement, the more disagree hits would show quite a few don't approve and only one reply could correct the error. And if that single reply was accepted then the agree button could be hit by many.
    I feel that many who disagree with something just don't have the time or inclination to reply and could hit the disagree....again avoiding redundant answers.

But the "answered" tag shows up sometimes for no rhyme or reason, as mentioned before that tag gets applied even if the reply to the post is asking questions of the OP.

Also just starting today I have to log in every time I check in, previously I might stay logged in for a week. And if not logged and reading the wall the time hacks are off by 6 hours, seems like Greenwich Mean Time, or as we used to call it as Zulu Time in the USAFSS in the last century.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    In most places, "like" means you agree.

I suspect that's why Erin removed it originally and honestly I agree with her original arrangement. Like meant you agreed with the post, not doing anything meant you didn't agree or didn't care and dislike meant you had a problem with it.

It doesn't really matter to me. I'll use whatever buttons are here.
    Tinman