Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help With Boiler Leak

STvex
STvex Member Posts: 71
Hi,

I just noticed a small leak coming from the bottom of my boiler. I have a weil eg-45 gas steam boiler about 31 years old. The leak is coming from the back left side. I attached three pictures. One of the leak, the second the back and third the underside. The underside picture is upside down. I can't seem to figure out where the leak is coming from. I took the front cover off and looked where the burner is but I don't see any water dripping from the bottom of the boiler chest, I took the back cover off and don't see water leaking either. But when I put my finger where the towel is, I can feel water. I've been placing new paper towels a few times already and they come out wet. Can any of you guys tell where the leak is coming from? I was thinking of adding two quarts of the boiler leak sealer that they sell at the big box stores, run the boiler a few times and let the water sit to see if it still leaks. Do those products work? Other than replacing the boiler, what other options do I have? Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    It's probably leaking from above the water line. The leak-sealer may work for a week or two but not permanently. You'll be better off replacing that whole boiler.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited May 2015
    Overfill the boiler, until you can feel the header get cold from the water, and let it sit for a few hours. During this time you should see where the leak is.
    Stop leak will not be a permanent solution. You have time now to do a thorough examination, and planning for the replacement.
    Don't forget to measure the radiators for the sizing of the boiler-do not simply choose one of the same size as you now have, as it may have been incorrectly chosen.--NBC
  • STvex
    Thanks I will try that, where can I get edr charts for my radiators? Can I go by square foot of house then calculate boiler gross btu?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    STvex said:

Thanks I will try that, where can I get edr charts for my radiators? Can I go by square foot of house then calculate boiler gross btu?

No, you can't. Steam boilers are sized by the connected radiation ("EDR"), not the size of the house or the heat loss!

There are tables showing the EDR of various radiators in the reference section of this site.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STvex
    Thanks Ill look for the charts
  • STvex
    Thanks Fred great reference, saved me a lot of time
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    The charts from Columbia can be off by 20% from what I've seen. Try these charts, too.
  • STvex
    Thanks jstar