Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why Does My New Burham Steam Radiator Boiler Seem to over pressurize?

blakk
blakk Member Posts: 3
I have a 1 pipe steam radiator system with new Burnham Boilers...My home is a three family so there are three boilers..the first and second floor boilers work normal, but the third floor boiler over pressurizes and I can hear what sounds like water spitting up inside the vertical pipes of that system? The water level in the site glass eventually drops below the water level cut off and the unit shuts down! Any advice as to why the other two boilers work correctly but that one doesn't?

Comments

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Send some pictures
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    An oversized boiler will cause the system pressure to be high, and it can also cause the water to back out of the boiler causing you to trip off on low water. What is the model number of the boiler? How many radiators are connected to it and what size are they?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    And whiile you are collecting all that information, go down there and make sure the pressuretrol is set properly on that boiler, and that it works. If it's new, you shouldn't have to clean the pigtail, but it wouldn't hurt. The pressuretrol should be set to cut out at no more than 1.5 psi and cut in at 0.5 psi -- which is as low as it will go.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    were the new boilers properly skimmed after being installed?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    In addition to what every said, it sounds like this boiler needs a good skimming to get the oils off of the surface of the boiler water. That oil will cause water to push back into the returns and cause the water level in the boiler to drop until the boier shuts down.