Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Supply Mains - alternate pipe materials

anybody know of a viable alternative to black pipe for 4" steam mains at 40 psi? Job is approximately 1,000 feet of pipe and I am getting push back from the "owners friend" about modern materials.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Quote them on 304 or 316 stainless and see how modern they really want to be.
    JUGHNEAlCorelliNYLarry_52
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Option 1: Black Steel
    Option 2: Black Steel
    Option 3: Black Steel

Choose one.
    RobG
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    "You can have any type of material you want as long as it's black steel." Apologies to Henry Ford. What their issue with "modern materials"?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,038
    "Just one word, one word to remember........Plastics"
    That would be interesting, of CPVC is rated for hotter water.
    KC_Jones
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,715
    SWEI said:

Quote them on 304 or 316 stainless and see how modern they really want to be.

Even better go for 316L. Did anybody mention black steel?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,553
    edited February 2015
    JUGHNE said:

How about transparent aluminum?

It sounds like the OP wants to use black iron but the owners friend is claiming it's outdated, or something.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    JUGHNE
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,715
    JUGHNE said:

Didn't Dan have a story in one of his books about a steam boiler piped in PVC?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,217
    Will the steam be on all the time? If not 1000 feet of steel will move.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    I'd hope someone would put in some swing joints if you are talking 1000' long run.
  • patdolan
    patdolan Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the input. The owner has a "friend" like my wife has a designer "friend. Great half thoughts without any accountability for results.
    I sent in the job using steel, it was approved by the National office and is going on the books for the late spring.
    Never hurts to ask, despite how foolish the question is.
    Keep busy and keep warm.
    Pat
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,217
    I just thought of a more modern material that may be less expensive and easier to install. Called ductile iron.It's not iron but cheap steel lined inside with some sort of cement.Was popular for municipal water in the seventies.I forget how it was joined.Neither welded nor threaded.It may be flexible enough to snake for thermal expansion.No idea if it was ever tested for steam temperatures.
  • Larry_52
    Larry_52 Member Posts: 182
    Love the responses! Although any austenitic stainless is terrible when thread forming (cold work hardening) so don't forget to quote them with welded joints. If you want to quote them with modern material try Incoloy 800 or Inconel 625, tell them it will do wonders for their possible creep failures in the future. Don't forget to quote the pre and post heat TIG welding.