Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

roof top unit

Paul_69
Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
Is it possible on a gas/electric roof top unit that on windy days it cOuld trip into a lockout and not have any other troubles?aand if so,iis there anyway of correcting the situation.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Is this unit spark ignition or standing pilot? If it is standing pilot it should keep retrying. If it is an older unit the pilot could be out which often has nothing to do with wind but recirculation of products of combustion produced by the pilot. On real cold days it is difficult to establish sufficient Delta T (temperature difference) enough to get an adequate draft to get the products out of the unit. That would be a good candidate for a retrofit over to spark ignition.

In extreme wind conditions I have actually built a shield for the equipment. The particular one I have in mind was on the roof of a building near the ocean.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    I have seen issue with some gas rooftops where hi winds can cause the unit to go into lock out and on a few we change the flame sensons and the gas rail where your flame travels to inginite your burners and that solved the issue and note that the rail section didn t look bad ,I would make sure there not deformed .We have also on units with air inlet louvers located on the gas section access panel we had hoods made like a larger dryer vent without a flapper .This really seemed to stop high winds from effecting the unit in lighting off.Hope this helps you i work on some units located at the end of an airport so hi winds are not a new issue alot depends on how the winds blowing but it always seems that when there hi its those same units that lockout some times its just the wind and the position which the gas section is .Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    Thx
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    York RTU's are notorious for locking out on hi wind situations. Their ignition modules offer only 1 retry after a slight roll out trip due to wind. I don't like the location of the roll out switch nor the 1 retry ignition module. Tim I too have used factory wind baffles in the hi wind areas. They do work.

MPT