Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ABS Sewage pump impeller removal.

Options
nevele
nevele Member Posts: 30
The impeller seems to be threaded but there is also a keyway with a ket in it. I put shims under the impeller and tried to push it off but it wont budge. I already broke a small piece out of it. Does anyone know how it comes off. thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Not a clue -- but my first reaction would be to see if I could extract the key...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    How old is this pump? If the impeller is ABS and already broken why not cut the hub, get the key out and remove it. Left hand threads are not out of the question for this pump. Salvage the threads as you cut. If it has some years on it, it might be time for a new pump. Haven't had to mess with many but most of the time it was new pump install. An old boy once told me that a royal flush beats a full house anytime.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Any impellor I ever saw that had a key, had a nut on the end of the shaft holding the impellor on. Like the flywheel on a lawn mower. If no nut and no key, figure out which way the motor turns. The impellor unscrews in the same direction. The other direction tightens it. When the motor is spinning, it is always tightening the impellor on the shaft when running.

What's the frame on the motor?

Usually, if you get too far in to it, you wreck the shaft seal and the pump is toast. And if the impellor really is ABS, it's a throwaway pump. Not worth futzing with.
  • nevele
    nevele Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Sorry I didn't mean that the impeller is made of abs The brand name of the pump is ABS but the impeller is made of cast steel.
    The thing is with the key in the keyway the impeller wont unscrew so I don't know if its meant to thread out or what. Its a fairly big commercial pump. Probably 2 or 3 horsepower.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    if it has a key, it's not a screw on impeller. Then brands I have worked on had left hand threads.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    If there is a dimple on the end of the shaft that the key rests on, you need a puller. But there should be a nut on the end of the shaft so the impellor doesn't fall off.

Is this pump on a ejector rail system? Some rail system brands are proprietary and they take them back and recondition them. You can't get the correct parts because they won't sell them to you.