Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1 pipe 1 valve 1 malfunctioning vent

Firstly, the many threads ive read through this week on this topic have been really helpful. But ive decided its time for a personal perspective.

I live in NYC, and recently moved in to a new place. Steam radiator with one pipe in my bedroom. The heat is crazy but I can deal with that if I felt safe. The vent spits out little bits of water and steam during the heating cycle, so much so that the vent appears to be eroding and developing mold after a few days of use. When the radiator is heating it seems like it isnt far from popping off and opening the vent to blast steam at my bed. I think the vent is a gorton D. The valve doesnt fully close so the idea of fully closing it to shut off the heat isnt an option. To deal with the issue I have turned the vent upside down today. Since then, there has been very little noise and no real sense of mortal danger at any point, a few drops of water came out but i havent seen or heard much steam. However, the radiator is still extremely hot so the theory behind why turning the vent upside down should would doesnt appear to have. The vent also looks pretty bed on the underneath side now.

I have put in a work order for someone to come and either look at the bulding pressure as I think its too high, or just replace my valve with a 'better' one, whatever that would mean.

Any advice on valves that i should be promoting to the 'technician' that eventually comes around, or why turning the vent upside down didnt really work for the heat? and if i should be concerned about the vent breaking or cracking?

Thanks

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Does the radiator ever cool off? ie. are there times when the radiator isn't full of steam?
  • ndean1920
    ndean1920 Member Posts: 5
    If i close the valve as far as it goes then it will cool off. Then the next time the cycle begins the first couple of radiator sections closest to the valve will heat but not the rest.

When the valve is fully open, i haven't noticed it ever cool off at any point....
  • Abracadabra
    Flipping the radiator valve will not prevent new steam from entering the radiator if there is already steam in the radiator when you flip it. Condensing steam creates a vacuum which sucks up new steam into the radiator. This cycle repeats until the boiler completely turns off and all the steam in the radiator is replaced with air. On a subsequent steam cycle, the air in the radiator will prevent new steam from getting to the radiator. If the radiator is too hot and overheating the place you can try throwing a blanket over the radiator to reduce the heat it throws off.
  • ndean1920
    So in the long term it will be fine, I just have to wait for the boiler to turn off for the hot steam to condensate and drain from the radiator?
    I am not in any immediate danger by leaving the vent upside down?
  • Abracadabra
    ndean1920 said:

So in the long term it will be fine, I just have to wait for the boiler to turn off for the hot steam to condensate and drain from the radiator?

yes
    ndean1920 said:

I am not in any immediate danger by leaving the vent upside down?

no danger, unless it gets deathly cold in there!
  • ndean1920
    Thank you!

I also, just started to notice a little bit of water on the bottom of the bolt on the vent side of the radiator. Obviously not normal, but acceptable?

7.jpg 1.9M
  • Abracadabra
    Could just be from your upside down vent dripping/misting onto it
  • ndean1920
    No chance of the vent cracking under the high pressure in the radiator, especially if it continues to pull in steam?

(I have a feeling the boiler won't be turned off tonight)
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    ndean1920 said:

No chance of the vent cracking under the high pressure in the radiator, especially if it continues to pull in steam?

(I have a feeling the boiler won't be turned off tonight)

No -- unless the boiler is really out of line! In which case its own pressure relief valve should open first -- which should get your super's attention, but not all super's have much attention to get, sad to say. On the other hand, if the pressure really is high it's probably not doing the vent any good...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England