Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New cast iron radiators and the best connection methods

I recently purchased an older 1 level house. It has a forced hot water system running 2 copper loops to 7 cast iron radiators using monoflow valves. The radiators are just horrible. They obviously had leaked over the years rotting the floors (which I painstakenly repaired) and rusting the exterior of severa radiators to the point water is leaking from a section here and there. I don't want them restored. The cost is prohibitive compared to purchasing new radiators from ocsind.com.
My research says to pull the copper from the basement and scrap it along with the raditors. Then install a manifold system with pex al pex. Was thinking about using bulldog manifolds.
Questions:
1. How many loops should I run? 1 for each rad? 2 rads on a loop?
2. What type of pex should I use? Fosta pex? Rifeng? Fosta is expensive. But it has a higher heat rating. Bulldog if I use bulldog manifolds as it is compatible?
3. What are the connections called that connect the pex to the rad? Excuse my ignorance with the names I use. The rads have 1 1/4 bottom tappings. So i screw in a open plug, insert a brass fitting with a spud wrench, attach another fitting that uses a compression fitting to connect the pex?

Any information would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• helpmeplease123
    helpmeplease123 Member Posts: 3
    44 views and 0 replies. Must be a bunch of know nothing amateurs like me on this site.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    My friend, with your bump I think you have managed to insult most, if not all of us. Good luck.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Tinman
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    edited February 2015
    If you've read a single reply on here you'd know that wasn't the case. Most of the pros are WORKING during the day and come here to post unbelievably helpful advice on their own time, when they have time. The "know-nothing" amateurs like myself wouldn't begin to answer your question which is probably why you haven't had a response yet. Although, without an apology, I'm not so sure you deserve one.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
    Canucker
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948

• helpmeplease123
    helpmeplease123 Member Posts: 3
    This is the 3rd so-called help discussion board I have posted to in an attempt to learn from those who do.
    It appears to me that if one is not a professional plumber with a good understanding of industry terms, that person is ignored and/or downright ridiculed for being ignorant of terminolgy and knowledge of the trade. That's where my frustration begins.
    Ignorent amatures like myself come to these sites for knowledge and guidance.
    So, I apoligize for my frustration with those who feel I am too stupid to learn basic plumbing techniques or think I am incapable of turning a wrench.
    I too am a professional. Of a different type, that's all.
    I build computer solutions to business problems and requests. I visit a couple of computer help message boards to help educate those who request education.
    When someone posts, " how do I create a home network by hacking my neighbrs wireless router?" I don't ignore, I don't ridicule, I simply attempt to guide and improvise as best I can.
    So, educate me, why do I get ignored for asking basic questions and requesting guidance for plumbing DIY projects?
    I get lots of advice when I visit woodworking blogs, home repair blogs, and even electrician blogs no matter how ignorent I appear to be of their terminology. And I learn.
    So why are plumbers blogs so uncooperative? Help me understand.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    revisit your second post. I might have replied, otherwise.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    They aren't uncooperative until you are rude. I got enough information from the books on this site (you might consider starting there if you want education) and the people that I replaced my entire steam boiler on my own (see the link in my signature). Where you went wrong was being extremely rude when no one did anything to you. You were not ridiculed and in your opinion you were ignored, but I refer to vaporvac's post which addresses this. These guys aren't sitting around twiddling their thumbs in case you need help. They are running businesses have families and just trying to make a living same as anyone else. If you took some time to read through a bunch of posts on here and looked at the time stamps you would realize some of these guys will be on here well after midnight on their time helping people that they in all honesty don't have to. They are doing it to be nice and because they care about educated customers for their business. If you had trouble on other boards I can't help you with that, but don't bring those problems here. This is by far the best help website I have ever come across. You obviously came here with a chip on your shoulder so honestly and bluntly you should do a little self evaluation about that situation and don't make it out to be someone else causing you a problem. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    TinmanRobGCanuckerRomanGK_26986764589
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    I get a hint of what the problem might be.
    Heating professionals and plumbers deal with very elemental systems and aspects of human needs. They interface with real people in real time in real human environments. They are used to working with people face-to-face, i.e. customers, co-workers etc. Those who are good, deal well with people AND mechanical systems. (things that burn, go boom, flood, keep you warm and cozy etc).
    You, on the other hand make your living in "the digital realm"--computers. Kudos to you. I'm "told" that folks who are deep in that field are often "socially awkward" and inclined to miss a lot of "social cues." Being ignored is a difficult social cue to interpret, I'll grant you. You get some sympathy from me. But, you might cut your losses at this point and perhaps use your "digital" acumen and try posting under a different name and try leaving out the ham-handed rudeness.
    Just a thought.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    @helpmeplease123:

"" When someone posts, " how do I create a home network by hacking my neighbrs wireless router?" I don't ignore, I don't ridicule, I simply attempt to guide and improvise as best I can. ""

So, what? You help other people steal what others pay for? That's commendable.

It irritates the hell out of me to watch the lights blinking on my router, knowing that I bought a router, and Comcast took my old one and gave me a new one. So they can charge me for turning my home Wi-Fi into a part of their Xfinity Wi-Fi network.
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    You also put your post in the 'plumbing' forum. More people would have likely viewed it and potentially commented had it been on the Main Wall or in the Radiant section. Just a thought. The stats for visits to this site are through the roof, 42 views may have just been curious people that were lurking at plumbing stuff and that is there true profession. Maybe those plumbers didn't feel comfortable commenting on a heating job. Just some thoughts.
    Canucker
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Just run one continuous loop from rad to rad of 3/8" polybutylene with crimp fittings and make sure and use an iron body pump. o:)
    KC_JonesCanucker