Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

question

Friends just did a mega remake of a home in Boston…The house is 2500 sq ft….Well they opted for a geo thermal heat pump system..Bad news is the cost to heat the home is beyond out of control….We don’t have many of these type of systems up here, I am not thinking it was a good idea…..I am open for questions and suggestions…I will follow up and finish this thread with the end result…As I wish others would do...

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    The geothermal is the heat source. Does it drive a hydronic system? Or hot air? My suggestions for a remedy will depend on that!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    bmwpowere36m3
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    What is the design day heat loss for the house? Who sized and specified the ground loop system? Is there an electric resistance backup element that's carrying most or all of the load during cold weather?
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    One of the first things I would do is figure out what kind of pumping power you are using. Is the system open loop or closed loop. Also what temp water are you getting in for the geo unit and what is the temp drop across the unit (Water side)? What is the COP supposed to be for the unit @ the water Temps supplied?

What is the application?

What is the Delta t across the system side with any backup turned off?

You can do a bit of trouble shooting before you put a set of gauges on the unit.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Please explain more and include some pix of the heat pump , buffer tank , pumps .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Thanks all…I will go over and take some photos….and get all the answers…to you questions….I know there are hydro coils i know they said they got 65 degree water temp..IN JULY….The a/c worked great all summer…They don’t complain of poor heat they say the cost to operate it is out of control…The house is very well insulated...