Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil furnace problems

94cobra10
94cobra10 Member Posts: 5
I have a Beckett oil furnace and its not working right. It doesn't kick on when it gets below the tempature I have it set at. I have replaced the thermostat, motor, fuel pump, and primary control unit. I'm not for sure what it could be. Could someone help me with this? There is times where it works just fine

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,177
    Is this steam? Hot water? Air? It makes a difference on what it might be... and how to check it and fix it (and throwing parts at it probably isn't the answer).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • 94cobra10
    It's a for heat in a mobile home. I replaced the motor and fuel.pump last year and the thermostat and primary control unit this month and I only replaced the primary control because I called a local oil heating company and they said it could be that and was going to charge me $45 an hour to trouble shoot it and I figured if I tried that and it fixed it I wouldnt have to pay for part and the hourly payment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,177
    Well, you sound like you want to trouble shoot it yourself -- so the first thing to do is to find out exactly what the controls on the unit are, and what controls what.

First thing I'd check is the thermostat wiring...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    In a total of one year you replaced the motor, fuel pump, thermostat, primary control, but didn't want to pay $45 for a professional diagnosis?
    steve
    icesailorRobG
  • ww
    ww Member Posts: 282
    cross the thermostat wires or the thermostat connections on the primary control.. and see what happens to get that out of the circuit. did you read the thermostat manual for proper settings..sometimes they have to be set with screws in and out,etc.

also make sure your wiring is all correct for the primary control and check all the wiring under the transformer too..check for loose connections leading to primary control as well.

it's all traceable using a voltmeter. what are the aquastat settings at now? sometimes you get a new part that isn't any good either.
    what does your cad cell look like..is it clean...is there smoke in the flue pipe when burner is on..is the air on burner set?..is the nozzle correct..too big...causing more air...and not great combustion?..take one thing at a time...but crossing the thermostat connectors should tell you alot.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Sounds like you are spending money where you shouldn't be. I am thinking that you are having to reset this at times? $45 is a rather low price to pay to troubleshoot. Not sure if that would even be money well spent. We need more info and pics. Does it have a timer/relay board? Tank location?
  • Tony Massi
    Tony Massi Member Posts: 86
    What type of thermostat did you replace and with what?
    I have had experience with some of the new T87 thermostats working intermitted with carlin cad cell relays. If you have to hit the reset its something else. A lot of times with outside oil tanks the line freezes up outside or in the tank.
  • add
    add Member Posts: 94
    It is a motor home furnace,
    Sometimes it works just fine.
    replaced the primary control.
    I bet the oil lines are gelling up at certain temperature............
    I agree with Tony Massi.
  • 94cobra10
    I just replaced the cad cell and it works just fine now. There wasn't many more parts I could replace on it so I figured I would give it a shot and it worked. I replaced the motor and fuel pump last year because they were both bad.