Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle Tube Smart Series - Built In Thermostat?

Thinking about using Triangle Tube's Smart Series Indiect Water Heater for a project. From the specs, it looks like there may be a built-in thermostat for temperature control, but I'm not sure.

Anyone with experience who can shed some light? Thanks.

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Yes, they do. It's on the top of the tank.
    Steve Minnich
  • matt_sunwaysolar
    matt_sunwaysolar Member Posts: 61
    And that will snap an external 24v supply, I assume?
  • Tinman
    Yes, the stat closes on a temperature drop completing a circuit from an external 24 volt source to typically a coil of a relay.
    Steve Minnich
  • matt_sunwaysolar
    matt_sunwaysolar Member Posts: 61
    Thanks. I appreciate the help.

Any other tips on working with them? I know you have to fill the internal tank first. Anything else?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    When you use a TT boiler, you replace the built in aquastat with a sensor that the boiler can read.
    Fill the inner tank first.
    Make sure to pipe it so you can siphon the domestic side out the top. The manual shows how to do this.
    The outer jacket on the boiler side is steel, not stainless. Do not install a smart in a system with non barrier tubing.
    I found that they tend to overshoot the target temp, I think because of the high recovery rate and the water volume on the boiler side. A thermostatic mixing valve on the domestic side will help with this.

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Tinman
    If it's one of the bigger tanks, make sure you have some strong guys moving it. They're awkward and heavy! I love them though. Best out there in my humble opinion.
    Steve Minnich
    Bob Bona_4
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    They tolerate hard water far better than most. That clinches the deal for us (barring high chloride levels, which they do not like at all.)