Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wire Crackling sound during operation

Options
norm6269
norm6269 Member Posts: 3
Hello all, I have a oil furnace that went turned on makes a crackling sound near or around the terminal box. I noticed the gold colored box under the terminal is very loose but I did not see any screws to tighten it. I reconnected the red thermostat wiring as I thought that was the culprit. The furnace power will cut off after the crackling sound appears but not always. The fan will continue to run. Some times it corrects itself and restarts. I'm interested in learning about the oil burner and the other components as well. You input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    You have a bad connection, maybe inside a wire nut? Sounds like you should call an electrician
  • norm6269
    Options
    Ok, can't afford an electrician at this time, any reason why I can't continue to use the furnace, haven't had any issues other than it cuts off occasionally
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Pics might help, but an electrical fire will cost you more than an electrician? Maybe we can direct you from pics that are in depth?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    You can probably continue to use it -- until it fails completely, some cold night, which it will, or the bad connection heats up in such a way as to set something on fire...

Or you could get it fixed.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • norm6269
    Options
    Ok point taken, wood stove taking over until repair.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    norm6269 said:

Ok, can't afford an electrician at this time, any reason why I can't continue to use the furnace, haven't had any issues other than it cuts off occasionally

Yes,,, the noise is telling you something is wrong.