Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking For “NRT” Type Help.

PhotoGuy
PhotoGuy Member Posts: 28
I went to the “Northeast Radiant Technology” (NRT) site and checked out their stuff. I know they (Rob & Dave) were both active here for years and received many “kudos” for their knowledge. I went to the site in hopes that I would be able to utilize their services. Much to my surprise, even though the web site is still up, they are no longer in business! I was real excited to use them especially after I viewed the final product they delivered. Nice looking plans, layouts, lists, etc.! Here is a link to the sample: LINK. Any names/companies you guys can throw out to me that would supply same service (and similar final product) would be appreciated.

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    Yes we all do that, where are you from. State & city. Any one of us professionals could help you .
  • PhotoGuy
    Northern Wisconsin. I checked the map under "find a contact" and nobody in the state (upper Midwest for the most part not covered here). I would love to get detailed plans, parts list, etc. so I could do some DIY and hire local for the rest.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited January 2015
    You could certainly contact many of us here . A few consult , design , specify and even vet local contractors for customers to verify their abilities . Just read under the posters comments and maybe you'll find somebody . Mr Langan and myself have found ourselves over 400 miles from home at times when jobs done by others prove to be a real shambles . We design consult and design for anywhere .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Where is Rob, I miss that Guy!
  • Rich_49
    He has been kinda absent huh ? I did speak with him awhile back and he verified that he was no longer at NRT and went elsewhere . Rob did bring much to discussions .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
  • PhotoGuy
    But who would supply detailed plans like the ones I linked to? I've checked out a few web sites and I'm not seeing what I'll get in the end. Their site (NRT) really did explain and show exactly what the end product would be.
  • Rich_49
    As stated prior , many guys here . Myself included . Sorry I have not had the time to spend building a pretty website , I've been busy solving folks problems for 25 years . Things like that site and all those details cost a bit of money , that's why I never built one . I thought that if I built one like that someone would have to pay for it , then I asked who that would be and could only come to one reasonable conclusion , the end user or customer . In an effort to keep costs as low as humanly possible I decided not to and rely on my reputation . Amazing thing is that there is no longer a Rob Brown there and possibly not even a corporate entity to perform any service so in the end , what use was it ?
    please don't take that the wrong way but we all are very good at what we do .
    I assure you what you'll get in the end is a well designed system from anyone here that does that work . Should any problems arise with any systems designed by those here I am quite sure it would be figured out , addressed and made right .
    732-751-1560
    Ironman
  • Snowmelt
    Photo, all radiant jobs look like that, do you think that specific company is the only one that does that.

Rich, I'm lucky my girlfriend does mine.
  • PhotoGuy said:

Northern Wisconsin. I checked the map under "find a contact" and nobody in the state (upper Midwest for the most part not covered here). I would love to get detailed plans, parts list, etc. so I could do some DIY and hire local for the rest.

Where in Northern Wisconsin are you?
  • PhotoGuy
    RICH: It is really not that pretty of web site! Just like in radiant heat, it's all about efficiency! This is why I was interested when I saw the (NRT) site. I could quickly see the following three things:

1) Cost I can expect to pay for service
    2) What exactly the product will be that I will get
    3) Complete sample document

#3 is interesting because I've never seen such a nice final product. The few "samples" I've seen usually just show a diagram for tube layout. This thing has it all!

Web sites are not that difficult and serve as a front door to your business. First impressions are everything. Like it or not, people are judging what to expect as an end product based on what they first see/read on your site. Most people like the "KISS" method (keep it simple). I like to see the above three quickly or I move on. I was on a site last night and the guy had so much stuff that I was ridiculous. Just trying to get answers to the above three took forever to find. If he wanted to brag about his knowledge, he could have had sub pages or links to articles.

PM HOME AND CABIN SERVICES: I'm north of you about 100 miles.
  • Rich_49
    All I am attempting to say is , Be very careful if these are how you may judge who you will use . I can name 3 sited that meet your criteria that no doubt would have you back here in a year asking how this happened because you followed all the right steps .
    Websites are a very nice thing but I have found that the internet is a double edged sword and front doors are over rated . It's what's behind the front door that matters .
    Behind my plain and simple front door which gets knocked on because past customers have sent people to my address , the house is clean . Many others have really nice front doors yet again and again their customers wind up here with nightmare stories .
    I understand what you are saying about the 3 things you want to see , I have gone so far as to advise you that these things are not special and many here provide them .
    You have probably already , from your comments above encountered my favorite based in Montana . There are several more just like that . I guess what I am saying is some don't believe they must sell themselves and all the shiny wrapping paper that makes potential consumers feel warm and fuzzy is just that , wrapping paper . Most of the time the contents will not make it through the warranty period .
    732-751-1560
  • PhotoGuy
    RICH: We are in agreement for the most part! I totally agree that an end judgement can't be made completely. Just like I can't trust everything I read on the web, I know that there are some others out there making your trade look bad. (I was a cop for 30 years and knew I was mostly being judged by the last idiot cop on the news making us all look bad.) Likewise, I know there are guys out there that could probably do exactly what I need but I'll never find them because I can't see it. I would just like to see an end product "sample" so I know what I'm getting. I now have to spend hours "shopping" for what "NRT" supplied. My time won't be wasted in the end, but I hate to see the guy on the other end spend time trying to "sell" them self and end up wasting their time. It's for that reason my web site shows/tells exactly what you get and at what price.

The one I was referring too was actually out of Minnesota. He might be the greatest RH guy in the world for all I know. The site was just loaded with how great he was, how others suck, and way to much info on his opinions about equipment. Not what I want to see at the "front door."

• Quote:PM HOME AND CABIN SERVICES: I'm north of you about 100 miles.

If you let me know what town ( might be to far for me) but I could possibly refer you to someone reputable who can (rare, north of 64).

• PhotoGuy
    Eagle River
  • Rich_49
    Look no further . Contact , Appropriate Designs , John Siegenthaler's place . He can show you all that you'll get and it quite possibly cannot be surpassed . You could also look up Robert Bean , out of Canada , his site is Healthyheating.com . I believe somewhere there you'll find design services .
    So you were speaking of my second or third favorite from Prior Lake huh ? Interesting guy .

Good luck and I was just trying to make sure you were aware of the nonsense in this and all trades that the internet allows for . If you need an installer vetted in your area maybe we could help .
    732-751-1560
  • Snowmelt
    Tell us how you made out, rich gave you good contacts.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Wisconsin has a lot of top quality radiant and solar thermal installers and designers. Lot of heating required up there. They tend to be bit more "underground" in the remote areas :)

The Madison area, and around the population bases is a good spot to find them, Dale Arndt, Arndt & Son Plumbing always has award winning jobs posted in mags and around the www.

E&W Heating and Air, Mike Ward in Madison is anogther progressive hydronic guy.

Usually if you contact any of the top guys, they are in the know as to who to contact that may be closer to you.

The closely supply houses that deal in hydronic will also point you to the top guys.

The RPA at one time had a comprehensive list of contractors across the country.

If you find someone local they will be up to speed with the codes and code officials in the state and local jurisdictions, as well as rebate programs and utility incentives, that may help you with $$. Sometimes a bit of solar integration can open some nice incentive $$ in WI :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    RobG
  • Rich_49
    edited January 2015
    I forgot that Dale is up there Bob . There you go . 2 more recommendations .
    732-751-1560
  • PhotoGuy
    Would be great if there was somebody in northern Wisconsin! I'll check out these soon and let you guys know the results. In the mean time I'll keep throwing question out that come up.