Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler noise?

A few months ago I did some basic improvements to my 1 pipe steam. I checked all my radiators for proper slope and shimmed where needed. I insulated the main in the basement, in the process re-doing some of the straps that hang the pipes from the joists. I added a Gorton No. 2 to the main, cleaned and adjusted the radiator vents and finally got even heat at relatively the same rate throughout the house. But I immediately noticed slightly more noise from the pipes and radiators. No pops or bangs, just a steady rushing or boiling sound as the boiler fires up and gets going - higher pitched and more noticeable than before. It sounds like noise from the boiler itself carrying through the pipes. Any ideas??

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    When you re-did the pipe hangers, did you pull the Main up or let it down some? The Main should be pitched towards the end that returns water to the wet return/boiler. Does the sound seem like boiling water that may be setting in a section of the Main?
  • danmayer175
    danmayer175 Member Posts: 9
    I have good slope on most of the main. One long run sags a bit and gets near level, but still has some slope.
  • danmayer175
    I think I found the problem. The copper oil line was rattling against the wet return - creating a high pitched cling-a-ling-ety sound that resonated throughout the whole system. I wedged some fiberglass in the gap and it seems a lot better. Sometimes it's something really simple, I guess.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Those pipes can make some serious noise because the run all over the house. My fathers head makes a really nice clang on mine...and then a bunch of curse words follow.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Don_197
    Don_197 Member Posts: 184
    When I was in the air force......and doing boiler operations all over Edwards AFB CA.......I went into a very familiar boiler room.......flipped the light switch on.....no lights. I figured the bulbs were burnt out, so I flipped it back off, grabbed my flash light......(left it off....saving it for reading pressures and temps once I got to the back of the room to the boiler) and......slowly.....remembering the low hanging pipes (I am 6'6") bent WAY over and started walking forward. My partner Joe said "lets just come back with some light bulbs" I said "I know this room like it was my own bedroom....NO PROBLEM!" and I kept walking forward. About 60 seconds into the room I found myself on the floor.....seeing stars......vaguely remembering hearing a loud "CLANG!!!" and my partner joe reaches inside the door and flips the lightswitch back on.........AND THE DAMN LIGHTS CAME ON!!!! I had apparently found the ONE pipe that was perfect for slamming me right in the noggin....but ONLY IF I WAS BENT WAY OVER.........like a moth to the flame......or a magnet head to the pipe!! LOL!! (still can't believe the lights came on when HE hit the switch)
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Last year I decided I'd had one too many of those - especially when I wear baseball-style caps, which block my upward peripheral vision. This has turned out to be one of the best things I've bought in years.
  • KC_Jones
    I started making my dad wear an actual hard hat in the basement...with a chin strap. He got mad at me but apologized 15 minutes later when he hit his head and it didn't hurt. Nice link thanks!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Check out the model with the short bill. It leaves my peripheral vision intact, but still prevents the majority of bits from falling behind the safety glasses.
  • KC_Jones
    LOL I wear prescription glasses....what's peripheral vision?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • danmayer175
    Continuing the off topic discussion - anyone figure out how to wear safety glasses and a dust mask at the same time? The mask always directs my breath right into the glasses and fogs them up, so I have to choose one or the other.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168

Continuing the off topic discussion - anyone figure out how to wear safety glasses and a dust mask at the same time? The mask always directs my breath right into the glasses and fogs them up, so I have to choose one or the other.

I've had pretty decent luck with a 3M half face respirator and proper filters and regular old fashioned safety goggles -- the kind with soft clear flexible plastic surrounds which fit against the face (and, in my case, go over my prescription glasses -- without which I'm pretty well hopeless!).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England