Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to replace ferrule on pilot tube?

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,590
If you need to change the ferrule on the small tube running to the pilot how do you do it?

How do you get the ferrule off of the tube? I'm assuming you cut the tube, but how do you cut such a small tube cleanly? All of the tubing cutters I own only go down to 1/8".

When I did the capillary tube for my refrigerator I used a file to cut a shallow groove into the tube and then snapped it off cleanly but I doubt that would work on this application. Or would it?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Most of the larger pipe cutters will cut the smaller tube. You could also use your needle nose and score the tube and then break it off but the larger tube cutter will work.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    edited January 2015
    unclejohn said:

Most of the larger pipe cutters will cut the smaller tube. You could also use your needle nose and score the tube and then break it off but the larger tube cutter will work.

I have a standard tubing cutter, one of those tiny close quarters cutters and a Ridgid 2A.

I'm assuming the close quarters one would probably be best for something like this?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    You will probably need to cut off the old fitting and install a break away fitting ( ferrule separates from fitting when it is tightened into pilot assy.) Check to see how much of tubing protrudes beyond the existing fitting as a reference point. To be on the safe side bring a couple of fittings, a break away fitting, a 1/4 inch compression fitting and some 1/4 inch tubing. Most supply houses carry a small roll of tubing which includes 2 fittings. ALWAYS LEAK CHECK these connections when done.
    RJ
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    RJ said:

You will probably need to cut off the old fitting and install a break away fitting ( ferrule separates from fitting when it is tightened into pilot assy.) Check to see how much of tubing protrudes beyond the existing fitting as a reference point. To be on the safe side bring a couple of fittings, a break away fitting, a 1/4 inch compression fitting and some 1/4 inch tubing. Most supply houses carry a small roll of tubing which includes 2 fittings. ALWAYS LEAK CHECK these connections when done.

Is the bright green leak check goo or soapy water acceptable for this?
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Leak check solution, available at Ace hardware or Home depot
    RJ
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    RJ said:

Leak check solution, available at Ace hardware or Home depot

Yep, that's the green goo I have.