Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Woke Up To Cold House

Docfletcher
Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
Weil Mclain GV 4 Series 2 108000 BTU In 88000 Out Natural Gas

Green power light is on. Boiler circulator runs constantly and zone circulators run when calling for heat.

It does not even try to go through the purge, igniter, and valve steps. It just sits with green light on the logic board.

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    The only thing most home owners can do is cycle the power on and off, make sure themostats work. If that doesn't do anything you need to call a heating guy,plumbing co.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Docfletcher
    Well, I dodged a bullet. Went online and pulled the Weil Mclain trouble shooting maps. The Chart 8 maps worked and took me to the problem in 5 minutes or so. One of the limit switch wires became partially loose on the spade. As soon as I touched the wire the blower came on. So it was just a matter of seating the lug firmly on the spade. I am puzzled as to how it became dislodged though.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    Gremlins... but connectors can vibrate loose over time.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Docfletcher
    Jamie, Where is this historic house located. :)
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    Litchfield County, Connecticut. It is open by appointment only for tours. Send a private message if you would like to visit...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Queebs. Its them Queebs that do that.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    very good, you dove in more than the average technician would direct you to do. Good for you.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Docfletcher
    Thanks GW, Very good of you to say, I certainly appreciate it. For an ex IBM tech like me boilers and hydronics are out of my element. My boiler and system had been pretty much trouble free for the first 18 years. Now though the last 2.5 years or so have been a tough go with a failure of one sort or another every few months.

Jamie, perhaps this spring. Thanks.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Docfletcher, you are among many. I have had a few calls this season from nearly 20 year old GV's that have had some hiccups. It's a funny thing for the older customers to look at me and ask "aren't these things suppose to last longer than this?" I smile and ask how old their car is... sometimes that works. Though with some of the older customers you gotta watch out, some still have cars hand built by as they like to call him "that young Ford kid!"
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Docfletcher
    edited January 2015
    I'm sure dealing with some home owners can be somewhat disconcerting. Sounds like you have a few ways to disarm the testy ones. :)