Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil furnace lights, then goes out, lights, out, lights and then out and trips reset

logicsound
logicsound Member Posts: 4
I had my oil delivery today, I was not out of oil just low. I noticed an hour ago that my vents were blowing cold air so I went to the furnace and the reset was tripped, I reset it and the furnace lit and stayed lit for about 20 secs then it went out but lit right back up and about 20secs later it did same thing then it stayed lit for about 5 secs and then out and then reset.....tried again and about same thing. I bleed the line and it was fine, checked the light sensor and looks clean. What are my next steps? going down to 18 tonight...
THANKS!

Oil Burner
Beckett Model AFII 85

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Could be a clogged oil filter or nozzle. Either way, it would be best to have a tech test it out afterwards. Has it been maintained recently?
  • logicsound
    ok more info. I left the furnace off for about 30mins and just turned it back on, I press the reset button and it stays lit for about 2mins and then the flame goes out for a second and then relights, this happened a couple more times, I went to thermostat and lowered it to get furnace to turn off and then raised it, furnace has been running good now for 10mins.. What could be the issue?

hoping the house at least heats up before it quits again...down to 60 degrees.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    @JStar's comments are surely the place to start.

But two thoughts: unless you have the proper test equipment, anything much beyond changing the filter isn't a very good idea, unless you really now what you are doing..

Second thought: if you have to hit te reset button, and it doesn't light right up, STOP. Don't it it again, unless you want very big noises and fireworks. Get a service tech. out there and get it fixed right.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • logicsound
    it lights every time when I hit the reset button. It has actually been running all night but I went down and watched it and I can see it go out for a second and then back on. Just bought the house this summer from an older couple with memory issues that had to move to a senior home. I will get a new filter and try that...Maybe the flow is getting clogged for a second and there is no fuel hence the flame going out.
  • logicsound
    oh and I don't know if it has been maintained recently, First Oil furnace, Is this something that needs regular maintenance? if so when ?
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Yes, at least yearly service. FULL service which includes vacuum and inspecting chimney base.

Consider calling a pro, things can go south fast dealing with oil.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    The oil filter is plugged and the nozzle strainer is also getting plugged up unless it is a spin-on type of filter. If you do not have a spin-on type of filter at the burner, DEMAND one. All else are junk and will pass sludge.

Your description is a classic example of a dirty filter and a sludgy tank. Put two spin-on filters. One at the tank and one at the burner. Let the first filter collect the sludge so it doesn't pass on to the next filter. If the tank took a lot of fuel, the sludge sticks to the side of the tank as the tank level goes down. The turbulence of filling scrubs the sludge loose and you have dirty oil for a period until the sludge can settle out. Its not realistic to clean the tank. Use a filter.

IMO.

And don't keep hitting the re-set. If you do, and it doesn't start, and you call a service person, TELL HIM that you did. So, he is aware of the impending explosion. He'll really be PO'ed if you tell him you only did it once. He'll know that you were lying within 10 seconds of turning the switch on.

Same as with putting 10 cans of drain cleaner in a sink full of water and telling the Plumber that you hadn't. He'll know before he rips his hand out of the water that you weren't being truthful. He'll know when his arm comes out looking like a fresh cooked lobster.
    orrbasset