Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Temp - 100 degrees Fahrenheit

2»

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Was the burner firing when you measured the inlet pressure?
    The was a question above concerning your gas pipe stop valve.
  • dbaron
    dbaron Member Posts: 16
    No I measured the inlet pressure with the burner off. The gascock is straight up and down now, open (it has a broken piece - maybe used to be a handle? - that made it look only partway open). I had to open and close the valve a few times to connect/disconnect the manometer and it seems to be working fine.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Now measure the inlet pressure again with the boiler off and then fire up the boiler. What does the pressure read with the boiler firing.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • dbaron
    Okay Bob, I did it. Just now the pressure in the line (boiler off) measured 8.45, so down a bit from earlier. Fired the boiler and the pressure fluctuated quite a bit but never went below 8.00 and never above 8.30.
  • BobC
    Measure that output pressure with the boiler firing again.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • dbaron
    Why?
  • dbaron
    Oh - output pressure. Okay.
  • dbaron
    Measured again. .30 to .32 the whole time. Left it connected for about five minutes while boiler was firing.
  • BobC
    If you are on the right port that pressure is 10:1 less than it should be. If it's that low you will never get the heat you should.

Earlier you said the results from clocking the meter was very low, As long as you have the correct pressure at the valve input you should be able to get more pressure out of that valve. That indicates something is not right with the regulator in the gas valve. You should get someone in to look at that valve, it might be defective.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • JUGHNE
    What type of manometer do you have?
    To be sure of the correct port there is an 1/8" pipe plug in your manifold pipe downstream of your gas valve.
  • dbaron
    I'm testing the right port. I have the manual and it shows the schematic for the valve - input pressure tap and output pressure tap. You remove the tap plugs with a hex wrench. I am using a Pyle PDMM01 manometer with the barb and tubes that came with it.
  • JUGHNE
    The gas valve manual would give you instructions to raise or lower output pressure. If that has no effect then probably new gas valve time.