Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless furnace won't kick on after running out of water

Maloysius
Maloysius Member Posts: 3
Hello,

I have a gas furnace It is a peerless 61-05-STDG-S. Every week or so, I have to go into the basement and make sure to add water too it because it shuts down if it runs out. Well it must have been colder than normal because it ran out faster than it usually does. So now the heater is completely off. First off, I thought it was the pilot, but turns out that is still lit. So I researched a little bit last night and some things I tried so far are I tried turning the thermostat off, the breaker off, and the switch above the furnace off and turned them back on. Even tried just breaker and thermostat or switch and thermostat. I did try to give each a few minutes as well before turning them back on. Nothing also when I have power to it, and try to turn it on from the thermostat, it sounds like it is firing, but nothing happens, usually you can hear the fans come on. The firing doesn't seem as regular though, usually it would go with every turn of the thermostat but it doenst seem to be doing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I also tried draining out all the water from the LWCO and putting in some more.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    It shouldn't be using that much water. Somewhere you are losing water or steam, and you need to find that and fix it before (hopefully) all that fresh water ruins the boiler.

That doesn't fix the immediate problem, however. Is there, perhaps, a second, manual reset low water cutoff which has tripped and been overlooked?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Maloysius
    No there is no other LWCO I can find. One thing I did notice though is that the vent safety shut off switch was tripped. I turned it back which was hard I had to use pliers. I did this with power off to the boiler. When I turned the power back on, it clicked back to off. From what I read this trips when it is too hot. There is no possible way its hot, it hasnt been on in 2 days and the only thing going is the pilot.
  • Maloysius
    Vent safety shut off needed to be reset. The button on mine is black so was hard to see, since it was the size of a tac. Thanks
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    CALL A PRO IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT USE THE APPLIANCE.

A vent safety should NEVER be reset and left as is. You need to find out EXACTLY why it tripped.