Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensing Boiler running at 197

josieT
josieT Member Posts: 53
We're having our first bout of seriously cold weather in the NE. My new condensing boiler has been running up to 197. the installer set it higher than the typical 180 max setting to ensure that I'd get enought heat. Are there any safety issues running the boiler so high? This is a hot water system and it's practically running at steam temperatures.
The thermostats won't go about 65 degrees. I have them set at 70.

If the boiler has to run at such a high temperature, does that mean the radiators are undersized?

This is a new boiler and heating install. The boiler passed the town inspections but the inspection didn't check the heating.

Josie

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    If your cold at 197*f water something is wrong. Or you are one of the very few under sized boilers in the world. Maybe have some air since it's a new install. But why did your installer set the temp. so high? Kinda like he knew some thing was not quite right.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Post some more info about your system. Pictures help.
    Some thing is not right
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Are all the radiators as hot as they should be and are they hot all the way across (and top to bottom if cast iron radiators). Has this always been a hot water system, was it once a steam system?

Post pictures of the boiler. the piping around the boiler, and one of the radiators so we can see both ends.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge