Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

TT boiler locking out

LukeWarm
LukeWarm Member Posts: 7
First of all, thanks to a lot of smart folks here who indirectly helped me design and install my radiant heating system by answering other people's questions.
I installed a TT Prestige with Smart 40 hot water heater and started using it in October 2013. Over last winter it operated perfectly. The house was extremely comfortable even though we had 65 days with below zero temperatures.
I started having problems this fall after we switched propane suppliers. The tank and high pressure regulator were changed, but the low pressure regulator at the house was not. I was getting occasional lockouts for failure to ignite, at first maybe every 2-3 weeks or so. About 2 months ago I took the cover off and noticed that it worked fine so I thought maybe the combustion air supply was plugged. The concentric vent looked clean so I hooked a shop vac to the air supply from inside the boiler as a test and it flowed plenty of air, and never changed tone. At this point, I was a bit confused, so left the cover off so it would use inside air. I had no problems running it like this for 6 weeks or so until last night when it failed to light again. It started after resetting it, but locked out again by morning. It seems to be working now. Any ideas on why it would have ignition failure problems? I really don't want to call someone to come out and just start swapping parts without a good diagnosis. Thanks.

Comments

• NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Start with a combustion analysis and a manometer reading on the LP inlet pressure to the unit.
    :NYplumber:
    RobGHarvey Ramer
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Triangle tube had a bunch of bad ignitors around that time.
    I would suspect that is the problem. They may warrantee it.
    Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    Both very good comments here. First, I would test gas pressure, both static and running. Then do a combustion test while running.

If all numbers are where they should be, then it would be the ignitor.
  • Boilerman209
    Boilerman209 Member Posts: 9
    remove and clean the ignitor
  • wrxz24
    wrxz24 Member Posts: 301
    I had the same problem with mine. Locked out numerous times and then happened more frequent. Got a new igniter, but before I got a chance to change it out, got a propane delivery. And knock on wood......it hasn't happened since. Not sure what the issue was but have one on hand if and when it happens again.
  • LukeWarm
    LukeWarm Member Posts: 7
    Thanks all. Have not had any issues since my original post. Still running with the cover off. Will put that back on one day when I am home and can watch it. I will have the pressure test and combustion test done. If it really is related to the ignitor, I don't understand the interaction with the cabinet cover on vs. off.