Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Good hacksaw? What's your preference?

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
I just got my hands on a new Starrett K145. Curious if this is considered a good saw or not by the pros? I also bought a Lenox close quarters saw a few months ago when I changed a radiator valve.

I use my Sawzall for most cutting, but there are a few times I wanted a good hand saw.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    The most important consideration for my hacksaw is can I find a sharp (new) blade with the proper teeth TPI.
    HatterasguyCharlie from wmass
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    the high tension I get with my lenox frame and nice new lenox blades is so sweeeeeeet. It is often the little things. Ok to highjack this a little, what is the longest you had a blade in your hacksaw for? I just realized I went 2 years, not that I did not gather plenty of new blades, I just kept leaving the new blades in the shop.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • icesailor
    Well, in all honesty, its the hacksaw with the newest new blade and hopefully the proper TPI for what I want to cut.

Seeing as how most places I needed to use a hack saw on, I couldn't fit the saw in, my Plumber's Sawzall was my saw of choice. I always keep a full selection of new and slightly worn blades.

"Plumber's Sawzall" defined as a reciprocating saw with the blade guard removed. Most quality plumbers can do finer finish work with a "Plumber's Sawzall" than some finish carpenters.
  • Charlie from wmass
    I got one of those little Rigid one handed reciprocating saw for close quarters. The thing is even lit with three LEDs. It makes cutting out threads and spuds out of radiators into a walk in the park.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • ChrisJ
    edited December 2014
    Back in 2012 I had some cash on hand from doing a side job and decided to go buy a 13A Milwaukee oribital sawzall.

Probably one of the smartest buys I've ever made. I think it was around $150.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Charlie from wmass
    My big sawzall is a Sawzall by Milwaukee and always will be. I have three in the shop I need to repair, new triggers and brushes, that are each 25 years old.

cell # 413-841-6726
  • icesailor
    Amazing what we tool weenies can find out there to spend our money on.
  • ChrisJ
    What's a "tool weenie" ?
  • icesailor
    Someone that can't go into a tool store and not leave with a new tool they can't live without.

Like some Shopaholic women. They're like squirrels and nuts. You can never have enough nuts.
  • icesailor

My big sawzall is a Sawzall by Milwaukee and always will be. I have three in the shop I need to repair, new triggers and brushes, that are each 25 years old.

Almost indestructible.
    Charlie from wmass
  • ChrisJ
    Hmm.
    I just found out we have a used / antique tool store 2 blocks from our house. Went in there the other night and there were so many things I wanted.

There was a beautiful large (6"?) Columbian vise in there and a bunch of Ridgid pipe wrenches I'd love to have.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Had them, never again. lol I have a quick change in my new Milwaukee, hate it.

cell # 413-841-6726
    icesailor
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited December 2014
    They all break (so far.) Milwaukee, Porter Cable, and (most recently, the one that was supposed to not have that problem) the Bosch.
  • ChrisJ

Once you go Porter-Cable, you never go back:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TKCjmRChL.jpg

That quick change blade holder which eliminates the allen wrench: PRICELESS
    I'm trying to remember the last time any brand needed an allen wrench to change a blade?

As far as I knew, all brands had quick change blade holders for what, 10+ years now? I know Bosch did when I worked for them back in 2003.
  • SWEI
    To be fair, they were all subjected to years of demo work on reinforced concrete structures with cast iron pipe. Only the TigerClaw actually broke anything significant.
  • ChrisJ

I had to do some concrete demolition with the steam boiler. It appears that the previous owner desired to build a mausoleum for the 1000 gallon oil tank and he encased it in 12" of concrete...........to be sure it wouldn't go for a walk overnight..............

So, there were some huge chunks that couldn't be moved without further fracturing.

I had the privilege of using a rotary hammer for the first time. Still difficult work but it could drill down though 12" of concrete in less than 30 seconds. Impressive.

I can't see how any Sawzall can survive in concrete............just brutal work.

To be accurate, there is only one Sawzall and it's made by Milwaukee. All others are just "reciprocating saws".

When I worked for bosch I rebuilt and tested many many demo hammers and roto hammers.
  • Charlie from wmass
    I hate the quick change because doing the steam work I am often in the rusty dirty water. The quick change needs constant cleaning. The allen wrench is more reliable. also I never shoot a blade out with the allen wrench style up on the staging and have to climb back down and find the blade.

cell # 413-841-6726
  • SWEI

I can't see how any Sawzall can survive in concrete............just brutal work.

The concrete (stucco, many times) gets broken up with demo hammers and sledges. The recip saw is for cutting lath and rebar, but there is a lot of dust and debris involved, like bits of stucco stuck to metal lath.
  • icesailor
    We beat the snots out of some of our power tools and complain when they break down or wear out?
  • SWEI
    Not complaining about the tools themselves, just noting that the quick-change blade holders are not quite as tough as the rest of the tool is.
    Charlie from wmass
  • ChrisJ
    When I fixed the steam pipe going up to the baby's room I crawled into the crawlspace, stuffed shrink rap into the runout to keep stuff from falling into it, at this point this was the 2nd time I was doing this as I found I had to remove more floor.

I crawl out, go up stairs, go to cut the hole and the blade falls out down into the crawlspace.

I was not impressed.

I think that was my fault more than the quickchange but it wouldn't have happened with the allen screw type/
    Charlie from wmass
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    I use hand hack saws all the time in the shop for my copper art projects.

The newer aluminum high tension frames are light years ahead of the old steel frames. The blades actually last longer also as they don't wobble around with the higher tension.

I like the Stanley with the higher arch frame, but the Lennox works great also.

The Hackzall from Milwaukee is a nice tight quarter cordless, easier for small copper compared to sawzalls.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ChrisJ